crzyjunyer

Trebles Vmc Vs. Kvd Or Gammy Ewg

I have currently been using either the kvd triple grip mustads or gamu ewg hooks on my cranks. I am wondering how the vmc barbarian and oshaunnessy bend hooks compare in performance. I am looking for a better priece on hooks than what im paying now (7$/11) since i cant find the kvd or gamu's i want in bulk and have even had a member check on shortys in the past (but not again recently).

i am a big fan of the kvd hooks but not the price. I hooked my thumb last fall past the barb with one and barely felt it go in (out is a diffrent story). The vmc hooks i am looking at are about half the price i have found. I like the sharper bend and wider gap short hooks on my cranks and feel i lose less fish to throwing with this design. I am just looking for a better value for my money with out sacrificing quality.

mustad makes a treble that is exactly the same as the KVD with one exception , it has the standard power point rather than the premium point of the KVD's, the model number is TG760EM-BN, it is available through shortys but only in 1000 count, I checked the price on 6's and 4's and I  believe it was something like $76 and $104 respectively...maybe someone knows where lesser quantitys can be bought, hope this helps.

• Like 1

I've tried various brands including the standard Mustad, VMC short shank and the VMC Rapala trebles (sold by Cabelas).  Bottom line, I don't see any bargain hooks that I would recommend and think that if you want premium quality, just accept that you're gonna have to pay for it.  I'm using Mustad KVD trebles when I want a short shank hook and the standard Gamakatsu Round Bend trebles when a regular shank hook will do.  But I'm finding that I gravitate toward the KVD;s more often in order to up-size

I understand Gamakatsu is coming out with a short shank treble and I look forward to trying them.  JMHO, Gamakatsu is hard to beat for out-of-the-package sharpness and point durability.  I think they use a superior tempering process. 

i am looking into business options about selling my lures locally and/or online and being "legit" and if i do so i will probably get an account with shorty's but until then i dont know aout ordering from them. If i do i may resell hooks in smaller batches locally and/or online as well too.

bob, what did you not like about the vmc's and prefer in the mustads? I dont mind paying more for a better product, i just wonder if others like the vmc are comparable in quality for a lower price since they dont have to pay to have kvd's name and endorsements on top of actual costs.

I feel the VMC trebles are not as sharp as Gamys, nor do they stay as sharp during use.  I cut the eyes on some trebles to mount them on Silver Buddy lures.  The VMC's did OK.  I could cut them with pliers and bend the eyes back together after mounting them on the lures.  When I tried the same thing on Gamy trebles, they were much harder to cut and eventually broke rather than cut.  They have a much harder tempering.  They also rarely bend out on big fish

When I give away lures, I often mount them with VMC's because they cost less.  The recipients never complain.  After all, VMC's are what come on quality lures like Rapala.  Many of the custom crankbaits I've bought also use them.  In fact, it's rare to see ultra high quality trebles on any custom or factory American bait.  But I put Gamakatsus or KVD's on the baits I fish. 

I have purchased 2,4, and 6 in the 1000 count from shortys but I tried to reorder and they said they had to go up on there prices so now for a 1000 count size 4s are arund 120 but still a good deal I sell 100 for 20 dllars to a few guys around here and it help pays for them but there old prices sure was a lot better!