CHROMEDOG

Wire Diameter For Hard Baits.

7 posts in this topic

I am gathering the necessary supplies to try and make a hardbait or two during the freezing months in the northeast.    Can anyone tell me what wire diameter is a good choice for through wire construction on a hard bait?

Thanks for your time, I really enjoy reading the website.  It really keeps me sane during the winter months when I don't fish.

Are you building baits for bass, Stripers,Muskie?....It makes a difference for the recommendation ...Nathan

I use .032 soft tempered stainless wire from McMaster-Carr for my bass sized lures. I've caught largemouth  up to 8 lbs. on baits built with the .032 wire and not had any problems.

Ben

I like the 19 guage wire (I think it's National brand).  Rural King and Ace Hardware sells it.  It's soft, so its good if you are twisting wire too.

If you are thru-wiring a bass bait, soft temper stainless or soft brass makes things much easier.  The stainless steel is slightly stiffer and stronger than the brass and it will not corrode or darken.  On bass baits longer than 2 inches, I use .040" soft stainless.  I think soft temper wire at least .032" is plenty strong for bass baits, I just like the look of .040".  BTW, according to a chart I looked up, 19 gauge wire is .035" dia.

I order wire and lip material from McMaster-Carr, which has good prices and service.  

Thanks a lot, my company actually has an account with Mcmaster so I will order Stainless Steel Wire (Type 304) Soft Temper, .041" Dia, 1/4-lb Spool.