badger

Top Coat Help!

I'm looking for a top coat for a comerical line of lures. I've been useing d2t for my personal lures with mixed success, it also has hold up to muskies, I was thinking of trying acc but not sure how it would hold up. also, what type of brushes can i use to apply the top coat? i've been using the little flux beushes form hardware store but they seem to lose some fibers and small particals.

I believe there are two or three discussions on top coats going right now in the forums....One titled Solarez top coat,another one dipping Solarez, and another titled top coat options....those three entries alone should keep you reading most of the afternoon.If you use the search function you'll find enough reading material for a month...Nathan

Get some good brushes at a hobby store. Stiffer bristles for epoxy finishes or a softer one for DN or other thinner finishes. Clean after every use with acetone and they last forever. There are many threads on top coats dating back several years, read up and ask away.

D2T is pretty tough to beat, but like you, I find that I often make a lot of mistakes with it.  Also, it takes a lot of time on a turner.

ACC is also pretty great, easier then D2T in my mind, faster then EnviroTec, strong, etc., but it is only one of the many options that Bobv and Nathan talk about.

EnviroTec is great, but the time spent on a turner is just far too long for what I would consider a commerical option......  Still, that is what this non-commercial guy is doing right now. 

Bobv is dead on but I prefer to toss my brushes each time rather then mess with clean-up.  I do what Chumdawg suggest with the cheap acid brushes from Harbor Frieght and then brush the ends to remove any particles.

Nathan is correct about checking out the Solarez High Gloss UV cure.  A friend of mine in the big boy world is also testing a UV cure and he is impressed as well.  When I am out of my EnviroTec, I expect that I will go with a UV Cure myself.

So many options, sooooo much reading to do in the past threads.  Good Luck my friend.