bassassassin85

Gluing In My Lip

IMG_0485.JPG 

so this is where im at with my crankbaits im wondering what i should use to glue in the lip on the crankbaits. The material of the lip is the computer material i believe its 1/16 thick and the lip slot fits tight with the bill will this be an issue with the glue? thanks for all the help guys hopefully this will become second nature for me so i can help others as well, jim

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

post-29376-0-25217500-1358370756_thumb.jpg

I use 30 minute epoxy to glue in my lips. Some people use the 5 minute, but I like the additional working time to make sure everything is aligned properly. Even with the 30 minute epoxy you only have about 5 minutes of working time before it starts to set up. I also cut my slots so the lip slides in easily without binding, but not so loose that the lip can get out of line. This is what I call a "slip fit" and it keeps the lip properly aligned while still allowing for a good glue joint. I also use a diamond impregnated burr in my Dremel to rough up the surface of the lip where it contacts the lure. I feel this gives the epoxy something to bite onto and gives better strength than gluing to a slick surface. I also drill at least one hole, and preferably 2 or 3 depending on the size of the lip, in the lip where it fits into the slot. This just gives the epoxy more places to hold the lip. Just add a drop of epoxy into the hole before sliding the lip into the slot.

If I have to file a slot to make the lip fit I only file on the bottom of the slot. This way if I file to much and the slot gets loose I can take toothpicks and wedge the lip against the top side when gluing the joint. By wedging the lip against the top side the lip will remain square with the bait.

This is definitely not the only way to do it. This is just what works for me.

Ben

Thanks rayburnguy, the lip already has a slot through contact edge against the bait but i believe i may have to file some of the lip to leave roop for some epoxy to fit in the slot with the lip. Thanks i really appreciate all the help cant wait to post a picture hopefully in the next few days i will be able to. 

Thanks rayburnguy, the lip already has a slot through contact edge against the bait but i believe i may have to file some of the lip to leave roop for some epoxy to fit in the slot with the lip. Thanks i really appreciate all the help cant wait to post a picture hopefully in the next few days i will be able to.