SMALLIEHUNTER

Cracks In Lures

I always try acetone as a paint remover first.  If you soak the lure without letting the acetone hit the bill, and then let it drip dry, it should remelt the cracked top coat and fuse the cracks.  I use a brush to apply the acetone around the bill.  

It should also give you a nice clean surface to paint.

If that doesn't work, sand it off by hand with 100 grit sandpaper.  Once the cracked top coat is removed, switch to finer paper to smooth the surface, and prime.

IMO, you never want to sand a wood bait, especially balsa, down to raw wood again.  In this case, I would probably fill the cracks with Elmer's exterior wood patch, paint the repairs over with a little super glue or nail polish, then sand the whole lure lightly to give the surface some tooth and repaint it from there.  Balsa has lots of buoyancy and I don't think the additional finish and topcoat will significantly effect the action.

1) Remove lip

2) Soak bait in acetone until paint,sealer, topcoat are removed

3) Clean up bait surface with acetone on a clean rag and let dry completly

4) Reinstall Lip

5) Reseal bait 

6)  Prime

7) Repaint

B) Clearcoat

Otherwise you are just wasting your time as the cracks will eventually come back