Cloud7

Musky Lure Painting (and Other Hard Lure Applications)

Hey All,

I've been doing a decent amount of research around airbrushing lures (musky lures in particular) and I have a few questions but I feel they could contribute to the more directed understanding of others who have gotten past the initial set up and are about to dive in.

I have a few particular lures in mind for airbrushing and I want to know how you all would suggest doing it.

1) I just bought a a Lucky Craft - Bull Fish, in a color that I wasn't crazy about, knowing I would be custom painting it. My question:

I will be modifying a  stock painted and clear coated plastic lure's paint job. How would you recommend I do it?

Do I remove the top coat? How?

Can I remove the top/clear coat without removing the paint?

Can I paint over the top coat (add details to existing paint schemes)?

2) I'm eying up a couple wooden baits (Hawg Wobbler, Suicks, etc), same question as #1 but now applied to a wooden bait.:

I could sand everything (paint/top coar) off, but could I just remove any top/clear coat and paint over the existing paint?

3) I have a Hang 10 Manta which had about 60% of its paint stripped throughout the course of a weekend. I'll probably sand this one down, prime it, and paint it some kind of awesome. My question is this: Are there any Top Coats/epoxys that are less bouyant? Will some tend to float while others tend to sink?

Let me know what you've done, what's worked, and (possibly more important) what's failed.

-C7

Hey All,

I've been doing a decent amount of research around airbrushing lures (musky lures in particular) and I have a few questions but I feel they could contribute to the more directed understanding of others who have gotten past the initial set up and are about to dive in.

I have a few particular lures in mind for airbrushing and I want to know how you all would suggest doing it.

1) I just bought a a Lucky Craft - Bull Fish, in a color that I wasn't crazy about, knowing I would be custom painting it. My question:

I will be modifying a  stock painted and clear coated plastic lure's paint job. How would you recommend I do it?

Do I remove the top coat? How?

Can I remove the top/clear coat without removing the paint?

2) I'm eying up a couple wooden baits (Hawg Wobbler, Suicks, etc), same question as #1 but now applied to a wooden bait.:

I could sand everything (paint/top coar) off, but could I just remove any top/clear coat and paint over the existing paint?

3) I have a Hang 10 Manta which had about 60% of its paint stripped throughout the course of a weekend. I'll probably sand this one down, prime it, and paint it some kind of awesome. My question is this: Are there any Top Coats/epoxys that are less bouyant? Will some tend to float while others tend to sink?

Let me know what you've done, what's worked, and (possibly more important) what's failed.

-C7

You can try to sand with a very smoth sand paper only to scratch a little bit the clear coat. In this way your paint will fix better. It should work perfect. There are some lure that I paint them in basic colors ->devcon, and after devcon I paint details and another layer of devcon. It is easy for me because if I put a devcon layer over the basic paint, when I paint details and I`m doing something wrong, I can clean with water or thinner without to destroy the basic paint layer, because I have devcon under it. I saw very nice lures made with succesive paint and resin in 10 or more layers with a nice 3d effect. I hope you understand and sorry for my mistakes, english is not my first foreign language. Cheers

Edited by RaPpSodIq

Removing JUST the clear coat I don't think would be worth the hassle.  As RaPpSodlq said you could try a very very smooth sand paper but I would be afraid of going to deep and sanding the underlying paint.

The wood baits you can use a heat gun and basicly burn the paint off, light sand the remaining paint and then go about your normal prime, paint and seal.  I have had varied success with using brake cleaner on plastic baits to remove the paint.

My biggest concern when doing what you are asking is if the paint I am using will have some strange reaction to the current paint/top coat.  I've had this happen to me before so now I just strip the baits and start from scratch.

Hope this helps!