Eric Roach

Airbrush Tips For Pearlized Paints

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for airbrushing with Polytranspar, Hydro-Mist and/or Createx pearlized paints.

I have been using an eclipse BCS with pressures around 50 psi.  Even though it's a .50 needle. I have to open the flow all the way to keep it coming cleanly out of the tip, and I waste a tremendous amount of paint covering the lure in pearlescent basecoats.  Also, the excessive volume makes it difficult to do "finer" work like a narrow band of a pearlescent color long the back of the lure.

Does anyone have any suggestions about thinning, technique, equipment (like an external-mix brush) that might help blow pearlized paints with more control?

Thank you in advance,

Eric

I don't spray all that many pearl colors, but the ones I do are Createx pearls (mostly white and blue) and are sprayed through a .35mm nozzle. I use the Createx 4011 reducer to thin my paints when necessary. I can't really give you a ratio as I mix it by eye and don't measure anything. I also spray Createx and Auto Air metallics through the same nozzle with no problems. And the air pressure is only at 20 psi. Are you sure your nozzle is good and clean? There is no way you should have to be running that kind of pressure. Especially with a .5mm nozzle.

Ben

it does sound like you need to thin them down more to me as well.  i spray most everything through my eclipse CS (.35) with no problem at 18-25 psi with no problem usually. The only one i use diffrently is my auto air hot rod sparkle. With it i use my .5 needle out of my BCS in my CS and thin a lil more and kick it up to about 30 psi and it seems to do pretty well.

Thanks for the responses.  All my gear is currently boxed-up, as I am in the middle of building-out a painting room in my basement, but I will ensure the nozzle and tip of my Eclipse is perfectly clean and the Polytranspar thinned a little when I try it next.  I'll let you know my results.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again.

Eric