joetheplumber

E Tex On Rattle Traps? New Eyes.......

Is it possible to clear rattle traps with etex or do they have to be dipped in or sprayed with an mcu or other auto clears.I know epoxy doesn't like sharp edges.............                                       Also came across some very cool new lure eyes on the web. They're called Fish Skull Living Eyes 3D. Seen em on another site and they have some on the big auction site to. Some of you probably already have some but they were new to me so I thought I would share. They look awesome!! Thanks .................................Joe

I've cleared Rattletraps with epoxy and it works OK, though you have to expect that when they get worn, it will first appear on the sharp edges at the shoulders.  Guess what I'm saying is yes, it's possible, but no, it's not ideal.  You can minimize the problem by sanding down the edges so they have a little radius.  There's also the issue of the sound the lure will produce under an epoxy topcoat, which will muffle the rattles somewhat if the epoxy coating is thick.  All in all, I'd rather topcoat them with Dick Nite MCU if I were repainting a bunch of them - but that's not to say I'd pop for $50 of DN just to do a few Rattletraps.

Yeah I don't fish with em much just trying to do some for a friend. I guess I'll go ahead and order some mcu today. Been wanting to make the switch anyway now I can tell the wife I got to do it! :lol:  I just picked up a bunch of LC 1.5's for $8 each to repaint and they would look much better to me with a more factory finish instead of epoxy on them also..... Thanks BP............Joe