ajohn33

Designing A Lipless Crank Bait

Before I start my design I need to know if the shape. Weather flat or round . How to get it to do what I need done . Tight wobble subsurface , or slow wobble a ft.and s half subsurface. Just getting into hard baits and working on my lures any help will be appreciated thx ajohn33

Wow, a tough question. 

1) I will cheat and say the first attempt should be to copy an existing bait, maybe a couple different styles, to learn a bit about them.  That is the short answer.

2) The next attempt to answer your question is that what your are asking is how do the vortexs differ.  That can take years of study, or ........ check out the benchtop test tank option. This would allow you to test different shapes quickly.  It is what I plan on adding to my man cave soon.   http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/topic/25915-benchtop-test-tank/

3) My last attempt to answer your question is to say I prefer an almost flat leading face, but you will need to adjust the face angle, the line tie location, etc. On a new design, it can take a long time to get it right. See # 1 above. :censored:

As for surface, subsurface, etc.  Too little ballest will allow the lure to wash out or lay on the side at the surface.  Usually on a vibration bait I like more weight, it is easier to stabalize.  Still, less weight, perfectly placed (trial and error), can give you an awsome wake bait.

The toughest part of any new lure build is to figure out how shapes impact action, looks, vibration, etc.  A flat face acts more like a rigid parachute or disk in a fluid while a round face acts more like vortex shedding around a cyl.  In reality, both work, just differently.  There is no right answer. 

Now, everyone else, HELP.  I am probably as clear as mud on this.

Getting a wobble out of a round bait is going to require a lip of some kind, wether you add one, or shape it from the profile of the lure. A lipless flat bait will either be a swimbait or a glide bait.

Most people usually copy an existing lure and expand from there.

What species are you targeting?

I don't normally disagree with posters, but I would like you to check out the lures in the following link.

http://www.river2seausa.com/46-vibration

They are not square, some are rounded, etc.  I have used these and they "vibrate" quite well.

Did I not understand what you said?  If so, can you straighten me out?

Thanks,

AA

All of the rattle trap-type baits I use have either a flat "forehead" or it is slightly concave cupped.

The forehead of a rattle bait acts line the diving bill, due to the location of the line tie.

So it seems to me that having a forehead that catches the water, as opposed to how a curved shape allows the water to pass easily over the bait, causes the lure to stay at whatever depth you let it fall to, and enhances the side to side wiggle.

I use a concave forehead on my three piece swimbaits, so they stay down more easily on a fast retrieve.

• Like 1

John

Here's a couple that run flat at about 2', I made them for fishing over shallow weed beds, 3" long, retrieved slowly they have a slow 'swaying roll' :? funny thing is the fish I made them for ignored them, but they were attacked by other more choosy fish which was good, especially the yellow /dark green one.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/8224-some-recent-paints/

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/8226-some-recent-paints/

As A/ Archer says it is a very fine line here.

The only hint I can give you is make them neutral for whatever water you are going to fish (salt / fresh / brackish), keep the boyancy as high in the lure as possible and the ballast low - it's a very fine balance, end to end and top to bottom, similar to a lipless swim bait.

Also the concave under the towpoint on these tends to cancel out the convex curve at the top, so they don't tend to 'blow out' or dive.

Have fun with it.

Pete