nedyarb

Glide Baits For Bass?

Thats a great question, since you dont see glide baits made targeting LM.

I know that actions that work for LM also do well for specks. Ive made some smaller glide baits, and they didnt get many looks from specks.  Seems like abrupt/random changes in direction w/out much forward progress are better, so I didnt fool around too long with gliders. You would think that they would work sometimes. I guess its all about what triggers their reactions on a regular basis.

Larry Dahlberg has created one made by River2Sea called the Wide Glide.  I got a couple of their smaller ones and use them for Brown Trout, yes in lakes, fresh water, inland, Pacific Northwest.

The subsurface glide baits work very well for bass.  I am working on a smaller version myself, but I have got so many lures "in the works" that I either need to do this for real or back off so I can keep my "hobby" status.

I really feel that a subsurface long glide from side to side is one of the most over looked action to date.  JMHO

Google drop belly glide baits. You'll see a video and specs on Ebay of a 6'' glider in action.

I've had some huge Smallmouths follow my 8'' gliders.  They're a very subtle / finesse type of bait. Very effective for muskies, perhaps even for bass in post front conditions.

If I was making one for bass it would be maybe 5'' long, 3/4'' thick made out of cedar or balsa and suspending.

s54

There was some discussion on this subject a year or so ago here at TU. I personally posted some pics of glide baits built for bass in the gallery. One of which was in the last month or so. You might try doing a search as there was a good bit of discussion on such things as ballast location, etc.

There was also an article in Bassmaster magazine about glide baits which I believe was last month. Think it was called "Drowning Rover" because of the underwater walk the dog action of these baits.

Ben

They will catch large bass for sure. Our inshore fishery here in NC holds speckled trout, red fish, stripers and plenty of large mouth mixed with them from fall to spring and we have caught some really nice bass on them while fishing for specks up in the creeks. We use the Rapala Glidin Rap, Strike Pro Baby Buster and the Bomber Herky Jerky baits and I have caught bass on all of them. I,m in the process of trying to build a 5" glide/jerk bait at the moment. Hopefully I can do some feild testing for some fat large mouth up on Harris lake here in NC in a few weeks. I'm sure some of the North Carolina folks on here know there's some big ole chubs in that lake for sure!!! Can't wait for the river temps warm to up some here so we can get back after the Speckled Trout with these large glide baits. I got a pic of a 5lb large mouth bass I caught recently while specks fishing on glide bait that had a 10" mullet hanging out of her throat. Not sure if a glide bait would be a lure I would throw all the time for bass but they will eat them when given the opportunity. As far as how to fish em we try to find the right cadence that is triggering the fish to strike. Some days it's a 1,2 and pause and some days they want it walked just under the surface llike a spook top water lure. Using a little longer sweeping jerk with your rod seems to give the lures we use a wider side to side walk while short quick pops of the rod make the lure swim in a tighter pattern. I'm sure there are some Musky lure builders/users on here that can tell you more about using some of the larger glide baits out there. We try to keep ours 6" and smaller because of the weight of the lures. It's hard throwing a 3oz + bait on a medium action spinning rod. Wish I had more to tell but we just started using them late in October of last year so i'm just a rookie with these lures but this is the right place to get answers on lures. Good Fishing.......................................Joe

I know that large mouth bass love to eat blue gills or any sunfish. So I would build a round oval bait like a drop bellie type of bait. I have made 5 inch drop bellie for muskie, this year I am going to make a 4 inch that really should be good for bass. I make mine out of PVC trim board is fast and they work good

Here is a pix of one of my 5 inch

Gino

010.JPG

010.JPG

010.JPG

010.JPG

010.JPG

010.JPG

010.JPG

010.JPG

post-22349-0-52648400-1359908428_thumb.jpg

There are a bunch of smaller glide type baits out there which are perfect size for bass. Rapala makes the Subwalk in several sizes and the Twitchin' Rap. I have been using a Rapala Countdown minnow with the lip removed for almost 20 years. I stumbled onto this trick totally by accident. I made an errant cast and busted the lip on a rock, instead of throwing the bait away I decided to snip off the remaining lip and grind it smooth. This slow sinking jerkbait has caught many bass over the years, especially stream smallmouth. Bomber makes the Badonk A Donk SS"slow sinking" in smaller sizes and Mirrolure has quite a few models of slow sinking and suspending minnow imitations that are perfect for bass.

Over here in Europe glidebaits are very popular for pikefishing , ....but we call them jerkbaits .

The first models came over here from the US musky scene about 20 years ago and we've somewhat downscaled them from the original 8"-10" sizes to just 5" or 6" lengths and also heaps and heaps of new and different models were locally designed through the years .

During recent years even some very small models were thrown on the market , just to target other species as pike , ......namely zander(European Walleye) , perch and asp , maybe even bigger trout . 

Here is one of the most popular commercial ones over here , ..smallest size available 5cms (2") :

http://www.salmo.com.pl/en/slider/

So I do not see any reason , why this lure type should not be able to attract other species than muskie or pike , ......it's not a matter of whether they'd bite it or not , but a matter of whether the glidebait can reach the fish , ...as they are not that much suited for a very deep presentation , as it takes ages to let them sink to 20 feet + depth .

But I do not see any limitations in shallower waters .

If you wanna learn more about European glidebait making , check out this site , ....click on "jerkbaits" on left column :

http://www.lurebuilding.nl/indexeng.html

Cheers , diemai :yay: