dtrs5kprs

hard bait cookbook

I've been looking at some of the paint topics on this page and find them to be of great use .So now I`m going to the next level and I`m going to ask if anyone has the recipes for a few other colors .If you can help thanks ,they are:

Homer

Classic Charteruse

Mountain Dew

Mellow Yellow

You guy`s seem to know alot of colors so please help me with this .

Thanks ,

Ken The Fin "Fishing is Fintastic"

Tried several of these cookbooks as you call them and really like them.But no one has posted any new ones in quite some time. why so tight lipped. Ill post a blue gill color ive done real well on tonight. One ive had a hard time with is a bar fish anyone tried this one. looks something like a white bass. bigtime forage fish on southern lakes like lake fork.Any ideas please post.

Edited by jstreun36
  • Like 1

chartruse perch

white base coat

chartruse over everything

mesh netting over bait

light spray of silver for scales over chartruse along back and sides(just so it shows

light spray of black along back

also spraying stripes on the side from the black top down (a light mist to start with then spray over again till it looks good

and last a transparent purple along the black just letting the purple overlap a little bit

sorry no pictures havent learned to upload here yet

• Like 1

ive noticed alot of good bluegill patterns on here.anyone want to share their formula for it?

thanks

i just finished a bluegill pattern gos as

white basecoat

black along the back and stripe along the sides(i paint three stripes on the sides) not to heavy just so its darker for the next color,

light green shot thru small mesh over the black and on the stripe also the top 2/3rds of the gills Let dry

move the mesh a little and spray gold lightly over the bait leaving about a 3rd of the belly white just behind the bill of the bait(this will be painted orange)

then i mix some yellow with a few drops of red to get orange (just add a drop of red at a time till it looks right)

paint the lower belly orange

cut out a plastic spot for the gill tab holding next to the gills( spray black )

light blue on lower 1/3 of the gills and done

bluegill.jpg

bluegill.jpg

bluegill.jpg

bluegill.jpg

bluegill.jpg

bluegill.jpg

bluegill.jpg

bluegill.jpg

post-27478-0-19536000-1318043900_thumb.jpg

Edited by crankpaint
  • Like 2

i have used the search feature so please dont berate me, gentlemen, does anyone have a recipe for making opaque paints translucent? i am using folk art paints and this is my first attempt at foiling. i am not real proud of my first foil jobs, but as they say practice makes perfect. i was thinking i could thin with water, future, or windex to obtain translucence. thanks in advance gentlemen, doc.

Or you could use some of the transparent base that Createx makes. The transparent base will make your paints more transparent without changing the viscosity. You really should invest in some transparent paints though. They are much more useful than just for painting over foil.

Ben

green craw.jpg

Heres a green craw pattern thats really easy and can be done with other colors as well

white base coat

dirty orange(red,10 drops yellow 6 drops and a few drops of black just to tint)

cut grass green

black

after the base coats dry

spray dirty orange all but the front of the belly,before drying blot with slight damp rag to take away some paint but not too much,dry with heat gun or blow dryer.

spray green lightly over bait it will turn the bait a molten green dry with heat gun /blow dryer

lay stencle on side of bait hit with black for the body segments then lightly along edges of segments,

dry as above turn bait on it back so you can see the white belly you left in the begining

with a peice of paper/plastic spray lines letting the black fade as you work down the belly from one line to the next

so it looks like the belly/tail of a crawdadwith the white showing thru

green craw.jpg

green craw.jpg

green craw.jpg

green craw.jpg

green craw.jpg

green craw.jpg

green craw.jpg

post-27478-0-43690100-1319766535_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

White Crappie

med_gallery_24360_8_213462.jpg

1. Clean/strip your bait to be painted. (This one was a Store bought lure that I Sanded/blasted the paint off)

2. Undercoat the lure with a Flat white. I use Americana Snow (Titanium) white. I also Spray multiple light coats flashing each versus one heavy coat.

3. I sprayed the sides (Lightly) with FolkArt 662 Metallic Silver Sterling for my Scale Pattern. It does not take much to achieve a good scale undercoat which will become apparent later. Flash all coats.

4. Then mixing DecoArt dazzling metallic DAO79 Bronze with Anitas All Purpose 11139 Tangerine produced a light metallic "Orange" Spayed the forward belly area for my belly scale. Flash all coats

Now the fun starts, I need to add here, having a computer set up where I shoot really helps. Zooming in on the bait fish pictures for the tiny details and color shifts really makes it easier to see what colors you need and the shading areas.

5. Wrap your lure with the scale material.

Ok we are gonna stop here for a minute and go off on a different tangent. I fought and fought scale patterns for quite a while trying to figure out how to keep them straight and not bunching up or curving too much. The important thing I found was I had to stretch up and down straight very tautly. I use of all things CHOPSTICKS from Panda Express. Without breaking them apart, I tape the part where the wood is still together so I can open and close them as needed.I use two sets, one on top to hold the netting straight up and down, and one on the bottom to pull the netting tight. The netting is folded in half with the scale pattern in the direction you want and place the first set of chopsticks through the folded netting. Make sure the netting is straight and not bunched up anywhere. Lay the lure inside the folded netting halves on its back, then using the second set of chopsticks pull both sides of the netting through very tight to hold the lure in place and this will give you your scale masking. After you arrange the netting straight and tight use something to hold the netting in, I use a 12" set of hemostats clamping the netting below the second set of chopsticks. Once your lure is stationary and wrapped then you are ready to move on.

6. Spray body and head with FolkArt 569 Metallic Pearl white. Here it is VERY important, Light coats and flashing each coat. If you spay too much it will produce excess buildup on the netting. You may want to mix a little base white with the metallic here, depends on how much you thin, and your gun. If you mix the base white with the metallic you will only need two or three very light coats. Flashing each. DO NOT REMOVE THE NETTING YET!

7. Now to paint the Vertical bars. You can spray your bars if you wish but for more detail I prefer to hand paint the individual marks. To hand paint, Using FolkArt 661 Metallic Sequin Black, thin the paint in a cap or saucer,(It will not take much, but you need to be able to see the tip of the applicator.) I use both a GOOD detail brush that I trimmed to only a few hairs, or a needle. your paint needs to be thin enough that when it dries it does not dry lumpy. Once again the computer lets me see the details for the bars.

8. I use the netting pattern to paint the individual marks keeping them looking like they are in a fish scale pattern.

9. Once your vertical bars are on, and the paint is dried you can remove the netting.

10. Shading...

a. Gills, I used Base white mixed with a couple of drops of pearl white and a couple of drops of FolkArt 670 Metallic Blue Pearl. You will want to thin a little base white and pearl white to shooting thickness, then add the blue one drop at a time to get the shade you want. Shoot your gills and any shading areas you want but do not throw away the blue.

b. Upper Body shading, Using the same blue you just shot add a little 1-2 drops DecoArt Metallic DAO75 Ice blue and thin accordingly. From front to back or vice versa, shoot a soft shade slightly above the lateral line. This is all personal preference, but you will be shading not coloring or painting. in other words you want to spray very light amounts not producing lines but shades, make sense? One or two passes is all you need.

c. Upper Body shading Higher, Still using the same paint you have mixed now, add FolkArt 669 Metallic Periwinkle, only a drop or two, then add DecoArt DA124 Metallic Purple Pearl one drop at a time. You are looking for that bluish purple color. Spray one or two passes high up on the upper body. This you can shade up onto the back with this as you are fixing to spray the back.

11. The back... I would suggest masking the lower body to prevent over spray. Using the FolkArt Metallic black, spray light coats from Front to back moving your gun away from the lure as you go towards the tail, or reduce your paint if as you move if you have a double action gun. You want to Shade the back and very upper side slowly one layer at a time to get that blended color/shade effect. Flashing between passes to insure color fades are as you want.

12. The Belly.. Here once again is shading, but now you want to get that fish gut effect. Mix your base white with the pearl white and a tiny bit of silver if you wish. Once again light coats and flashed between coats till your shading is complete.

13. After all touch ups are completed and the lure colors are complete I use DecoArt DS48 Pearlizing Medium for my last spray. I thin it wayyyy down, so it is very watery, and shoot it about 10-12" away from the lure, moving the lure or gun so it is just misting the paint. The pearlizing is only to give it a shimmer, not to coat.... Too much will hide the paint.

14. I do my gold dusting which is another very subtle shimmer effect.

15. Clear Coat. Remember as you paint, what you see when painting my seem not enough, but once you clear coat the lure, everything will brighten up and stand out.

crappie.jpg

crappie.jpg

crappie.jpg

crappie.jpg

crappie.jpg

crappie.jpg

crappie.jpg

crappie.jpg

post-24360-0-64044100-1321168132_thumb.jpg

Edited by bassnbrad
  • Like 2

The Yellow perch,

med_gallery_24360_8_93480.jpg

Ok The first thing to do is look at the fish. The main difference of this bait fish from others is the colors. Lots of Browns and yellows. Take a moment and open this site in a second window. Go to the gallery, and find that bait and take a close look at it. FYI, to zoom in on a page hold the ctrl button down and roll your scroll wheel forward, to zoom out ctrl scroll wheel back. I just learned that trick last year after using these danged puters for 15yrs...LOL Anyways the reason for the two screens or pages, is you can read and look at the bait without bouncing back and forth too much. There's a few small nuances on this one that takes explaining while looking at to understand. Now the steps and breakdown

1. Strip/clean/prep the bait.

2. Base coat whole lure white.

3. Belly coat and partially gullet coat, Mix DecoArt Bronze, Anita's Tangerine and FolkArt 4137 Yellow light. Primarily bronze with a drop or two of each of the other colors. You are looking for a orange with a hint of yellow. Do not throw away unused paint.

4.For the Sides mix Americana DA242 Fawn with Folkart 660 Metallic Pure Gold, and Americana DA163 Honey Brown. You are looking for that brownish yellow. Coat the bait From on top of the head and behind the gill plates with light coats till bait has that color. Save this one also.

5. Vertical lines 1st time.. okay the brownish yellow, mix a drop at a time Americana DA130 Raw Umber till it turns a medium dark brown. Ok another tangent here for a moment. for these vertical lines I use masking tape. I have a 2" tape roll I use pieces of. I tear of about 3" and lay it a top off a old flat lure box. Anything plastic, flat and smooth will work. Lay out the tape and cut strips longways about 3/16 to 1/4 wide. take those strips and create pines to paint from one side of the lure to the other leaving about 1/8" between strips. (NOTE, use a lo stick or non residue tape to prevent pulling the paint off the lure...Did That... ) Spray your vertical lines lightly, do not make too dark as you will see why in a moment. Flash dry and carefully remove tape. Save this paint.

6. Now using the paint you just used, add some lateral highlights using the detail brush or needle I spoke of earlier. Making small dots and or lines work from the gill plate towards the tail. These are more accents than anything. After putting a few dots here and there laterally, do a couple with the Metallic black. Not much just a couple.

7. Now you can place the scale pattern material on the bait.

8. Spray the whole bait with several light coats of the Pearlizing. Do not remove the scale yet.

9. Going back to the vertical bars respray these very lightly unmasked on low pressure with Americana DA067 Lamp (Ebony) Black. You are not trying to coat the lines, but shade them and giving texture with fish scales.

10. After bait is dry remove the scale material. If the paint is flappy, ie... ridged from the scale pattern, heat the bait up with a dryer to make sure paint is set well, and ever so lightly brush off the ridges with some 400 or 600 grit wet/dry sand paper. If you ever over sand a spot just touch up with the detail brush.

11. Mix some white pearl with white base and spray the belly lightly, blending the orange belly area. Do not spray too white, you want the orange/yellow to blend through sort of.

12.Using this white mix a tiny bit of the metallic blue just to barely tint it. Spray your gill plates several times to make them stand out.

13. The brown you saved from earlier spray from head to tail, shading along the back as you go. Do not mask this time, over spray adds accents and shading. Do light coats till you like the Upper sides. Now add some of the metallic black and very lightly shade the very top of the back.

14. Using the paint you just had add some accent spots not too many, just a couple to give the bait some character.

15 The orangish yellow you saved from earlier, add a little highlights to the head near the eyes. and by the mouth area.

16. This should put you, pretty close to the same bait. The main thing to realize is that when these colors are top coated it will shine out!

• Like 1

Real shad colors

base coat white

pearl white belly and sides

the a light coat of metalic blue sapphire(folk art paint) thinned 50/50 future floor wax add tw drops of gliserin down back and shoulders of bait

createx fluorescent raspberry over the top of the blue fading so as to leaving a touch of blue showing on the lower edge

steel gray folk art paint thinned as above sprayed thru fine netting over the back and sides fading into the raspberry leaving a slight line of raspberry showing below the gray(when done right the colors will fade from blue to gray as you look at the bait giving it a shiner/shad fadeing)

put some gold paint lightly on gill plate and strip along lat line of bait just so it shows up (not to thick a little gos a long way in the finished bait)

spray black very very light around eyes so when you add the eyes thay pop...

add the spot of black behind the gill plate and above the lat line of the bait

finish with a light coat of pearl white over the whole bait to give it some shimmer real shad1.jpg

real shad1.jpg

real shad1.jpg

real shad1.jpg

real shad1.jpg

real shad1.jpg

real shad1.jpg

real shad1.jpg

post-27478-0-34858200-1326937111_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Am I the only one that thinks a step by step with pictures on each step would be very helpful for the rookies??

for the most part the step by step is the paint listed going down the list from one paint to the next applying as statedas for pictures there are some on here in the gallery that if you look you can see how the paint is applyed hope this helps