dtrs5kprs

hard bait cookbook

I dont know what a bagleys balsa Chartruese Shad would be specifically but I would do;

1. White base

2. if you do not have chartruese mix 90% yellow with 10% of a limish green give or take and spray entire lure

3. Do orange(red if you want) down the belly

4. Personally I would do a dark blue/purple scale followed by black on top but the bagleys is just black

5. Another touch i would do is AA saphire mirage(would make the blue/purple POP) followed by a gold flake dusting

6. Gills and eye

This is a pretty simple pattern and you can alter alot on it to make your own variations. I personally would probably give like a light raspberry or pinkish red latteral line too but very faint if you did. Hek maybe ill paint one tonight to post but its been 110* so probably not LOL!

Dont mean to single out 1 person on here, just that bassnbrad went into such geat detail, I have found that everyone that has posted in the cookbook has helped me in some way or another, so thanks to everyone that has posted. Please keepup the good work.

Thanks guys and gals.

Edited by rhersh
  • Like 1

Would anybody be willing to post a pumpkinseed recipe? Please give colors, manufacturer and steps.

FIRST POST! :)

I'm a bit of a newbie at this, but here is how I make my pumkinseed:

1. Pearl White (Folk Art)  I don't have a system for thinning my paint just pour water first then add paint, always in that order.  I like a consistency of milk.  Cover the whole bait with 2-3 light coats, using hair dryer after every coat.

2. Laguna Blue (Createx) Cover the whole bait with this, again 2-3 light coats.  The rattles should still be visible.

3. Scale masking - I use a shower lufa from wal-mart and binder clips to fasten it to the bait.

4. Pearl Green (createx) cover the whole bait again except for the belly.

5. Light brown (createx) down the back and stripes using a comb.

6. Pearl Gold (createx) along the belly blending the stripes

7. I think it's called tangerine orange (createx) around the eyes and gills

8. Stick on red eyes, cuz that's what I have

9. Add green extra fine glitter to my epoxy clear coat

I forgot I added black dots behind the gills so that's like 7.5 ;)

The blue doesn't really show up well in the picture, but it's there in person for sure.  Sorry I had to post a link, I don't know how to post pics here yet.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a3d807b3127ccef321b98b7fdc00000030O00AbtGTZm1ZMWwPbz4C/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00601253624720130627041223109.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

• Like 2

Hi All,

There has been some questions about microbollon and resin ratios. I'm not an expert by an means but this is the recipe I've been using and seems to work for me. It has good strength but still stays pretty buoyant. 

Resin = Alumilite White (fast de-mold time)

Top Flite microbollons (light bollons)

I use 9% microbollons by weight so if I have a total pour weight of 100 grams I will use 91 grams resin to 9 grams of top flite microbollons. This ration allows the bait to site about +/- 75% underwater (depending on you lure size and shape) with no added weight with the exception of the hooks, split rings and hook and tow eyes. 

Some problems / thoughts I've come across. Not all microbollons are created equal. Some brands are more dense or less buoyant then others so if you get a good recipe down with one brand of microbollons and switch later down the road you will have to make sure you account for the technical discrepancies between the two brands (this happened to me). This is why I weigh the microbollons instead of measuring volume, I can get a good idea as to the density by seeing the weight to volume ratio. To be honest i'm not sure which is best to use, dense or less dense, but i've been leaning more towards the lighter less dense microbollons. I think the glass shell is thinner and has more entrapped air then actually solid material.

I've also used Smooth-on feather lite resin which floats and doesn't need any added microbollons. For me this was too buoyant and I had to add a lot of weight to get the lure down but I really liked the physical properties of this product! 

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHZ15

http://www.alumilite.net/Category.cfm?Category=Casting%20Resins

Hope this Helps,

Pete

• Like 1

Anyone have a good chartreuse color recipe?

Sorry about the double empty post. I tried to do this from my phone this morning and could not get the key board part to come up, so I tried to x out of it but it still posted it.

Thinman13 Rayburnguy posted somewhere in hard baits a good way to get a good chartreuse color was to pour a few drops of yellow in a mixing cup then use a toothpick and add blue to the yellow, stire this really well then if you want it darker dip the toothpick in blue again. Do this untill you get the color you want.

I hope this helps and I know you posted this awhile ago sorry its late.

Royce

• Like 1

Hi All,

There has been some questions about microbollon and resin ratios. I'm not an expert by an means but this is the recipe I've been using and seems to work for me. It has good strength but still stays pretty buoyant. 

Resin = Alumilite White (fast de-mold time)

Top Flite microbollons (light bollons)

I use 9% microbollons by weight so if I have a total pour weight of 100 grams I will use 91 grams resin to 9 grams of top flite microbollons. This ration allows the bait to site about +/- 75% underwater (depending on you lure size and shape) with no added weight with the exception of the hooks, split rings and hook and tow eyes. 

Some problems / thoughts I've come across. Not all microbollons are created equal. Some brands are more dense or less buoyant then others so if you get a good recipe down with one brand of microbollons and switch later down the road you will have to make sure you account for the technical discrepancies between the two brands (this happened to me). This is why I weigh the microbollons instead of measuring volume, I can get a good idea as to the density by seeing the weight to volume ratio. To be honest i'm not sure which is best to use, dense or less dense, but i've been leaning more towards the lighter less dense microbollons. I think the glass shell is thinner and has more entrapped air then actually solid material.

I've also used Smooth-on feather lite resin which floats and doesn't need any added microbollons. For me this was too buoyant and I had to add a lot of weight to get the lure down but I really liked the physical properties of this product! 

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHZ15

http://www.alumilite.net/Category.cfm?Category=Casting Resins

Hope this Helps,

Pete

Sorry I posted the wrong ratio. I am using 4.5% microballons in the mixture sorry again if anyone tried to use the above ratio.

Pete

Here's my Barfish/ Yellow Bass. I use this basic color for myself. 

1. White base coat
  2. Transparent yellow back and sides down ~3/4 of the way down
  3. Pearl silver light covering, all over especially over the belly.
  4. gold on back and upper sides
  5. lay out several layers of masking tape that slightly overlap. use a sharpie to mark out out the horizontal lines. Cut out the lines. 
  6. place the newly cut tape stencil over the side of the lure and spray over with black.
  7. Remove stencil and repeat on the other side.
  8. Spray the back lightly with black, just to darken it up a bit
  9. Sign the plug.
  10. Seal.

Hope this helps. 

--George

• Like 3