spoonpluggergino

Understanding Airbrush

I was having problem with one of my Iwata airbrush paint not coming out. Took it apart checked nozle looked okay, not pugged. Tried different things like blowing back cleaners nothing worked. I started really looking at the tip end, right where the nozle cap screws in, on inside rim next to the nozle there is a small orifice where air comes out. I took a piece of thin wire around .010 of an inch and ran throught that hole, that took care the problem. The way the brush works is that that the air come around next to the nozle creating a ventury the velocity of the air draws the paint out by creating a low pressure on the paint side. So if the air holes are partialy plugged or something floating loose and the air side chamber, velocyti is dimineshed paint will not be drawn out. I was in the navy and the airbrush works on the same principle as a water ventury water eductor. If you go on the internet and do this search        AIRBRUSH INTERNAL DIAGRAM    you will see the diagram picture very easy to understand, you will see the fluid flow and the air flow. Another note Do Not use acetone to clean your brush I ruined the piston seal and the air nozle seal that cost me 37 dollars to replace it. Now I am using Createx Restore # 5619 works great. Acetone attacks the black neoprene seals, I learned the hard way

Hope this helps other airbrush users on this site

Gino

Ran across this issue with rubber seals and solvent cleaners and reducers while researching airbrushes trying to decide which one to get.  Ran across some on-line suppliers that will rebuild or supply teflon seals for the more common airbrushes. So there are possibilites to replace the seals. Also read that using cleaners and solvents with ammonia such as window cleaners are bad for chrome finishes.  Airbrushes are simple in concept but a bit tricky with a few gotchas.  But if you spend a little time learning all you can about them they will serve you well.