biggamefish

Drilling Hole For Pin Insert On Jointed Swimbaits

hey guys im not sure if i have posted this but im having a difficult time drilling a straight through hole on my baits with my drill press. I have a vice that holds the lure securely & tightly and I position the lure as good as i can to drill a straight through hole from top to bottom of the bait but once it gets towards the middle the bit starts to wonder off. how  are you guys doing this? do you make a jig to hold it or what do ya do?

im using a drill bit about 2 1/2" to 3" long and its the size of the bicycle spokes.

I do not build swimbaits, but you can drill the hole half way in your swimbaits section than you can drill the other half from the other end of the section. I will show you how to setup your drill press so the two holes will meet. The problem with wood the drill bits will walk. you can also modyfi your bit. if you have a dremel tool take the bit flatten the point than with your cut off blade notch a V groove where the point was flattened. Now you can use the modified bit and the V grooves will prevent from walking. Make sure you grind it slow so the bit will not burn

Gino

center to center drill set up.jpg

post-22349-0-84117200-1360185364_thumb.jpg

I use a similar method for the pin holes in my swim baits.

I put the right sized bit into the drill press, and move a flat piece of wood with a cut off brad around on the drill press bed until the bit comes down onto the cut off brad, and clamp it in place.

Then I mark both sides of my bait sections with a awl where I want the holes, put one of the awl dents onto the cut off brad, and drill the first half of the hole.

Then I turn the bait section over, set the drilled hole over the brad, and drill down through the second awl dent until the hole meets the first half.

They always align, but I do run the bit all the way through once I've drilled both halves.