RFP

Licensing Idea / Molds / Design

Ok, I have read all the threads on the site referring to the good, bad, and ugly regarding patents, knock offs, and attempting to get a lure out to a lure manufacture. 

Has anyone actually gone through the process successfully and created a lure, patented it, had attorneys draft NDA and non-compete agreement, trademark...then marketed said patent pending shape to a mfg and license it to them for the typical cash +3% or even just the 3%  all without ever trying to mfg and sell it themselves first. 

Most of the ones i've heard about all have mfg and sold it themselves first. I do know 1 guy that works directly with a mfg to make flies and the mfg pays him 3% of sales royalty. Are there success stories other than this one guy?  

any and all input is appreciated

Rodney Long developed and patented the Stand Out Hook and licensed it to TTI. (now tti-Blakemore)  Last I heard he was working with Secret Weapon Lures in their wacky ideas department.  He used to be a regular on the rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Usenet group, but I bet you could do a search for him and contact him through his website. 

His experience with TTI may have been atypical though.  Ron & TJ are both really standup guys from my experience. To the point that when I design something around a hook I always look for one of theirs that might work first. 

Edited by Bob La Londe

My opinion wou;d be that you're best bet if you go this route would be to find a "smaller" company or local pourer to work with.... maybe even talk to them before going through all the effort.  Fishing shows/expos I would think also be a good place to meet a bunch of people and feel out any likely possibilites, make contacts.

Not too be too negative... but I'd bet most larger corporations wouldn't even talk to you.... as if they are working on something similar they'd eventually have a lawsuit on their hands... even if you have the patent they'd still likely balk.... becuase odds are, they'd launch whatever they have been developing and just fight you on the utility aspects of hte patent figuring with their size they can do what they want.  Most of the corporations I work for as a matter of principal will not talk or work with "individuals" who have ideas to aviod any issues in court later on.

There are a few big companies that are manufactorers but they mainly manufactor and retail there own product. These type of companies want to buy the product straight out in manufactoring, Mann's is one company that operates this way. There is a major manufactorer of soft plastics that manufactors for other companies and also has a retail company, they would also want to purchase the baits straight out. Look at it from a manufactorer's point of view, like my self, I would pay 3%, do all the testing, all the marketing, and basically taking the chance of whether or not the bait would sell. Thats the reason most baits that are purchased are done so after they have been out on the market, the original owner of the patent took the chances. I've worked with several patented baits and I always have to sign non-disclosure forms and other things to safe gaurd the baits and some have sold well and some haven't. There is a company that I do work for right now that has a patented bait and it is actually for sale, and this gentleman went through the trouble of getting the patent, having a production mold made, and didn't take in account how much time and effort it would take to market the product.

RFP, that company is located in your state.