Richard Prager

Dipping Base Coats

I've heard of some people dipping their blanks for the base coat a while back. I read (I think here on TU)there were pros and cons to this, but there really wasn't enough information. I was thinking about trying this and would appreciate some feedback if anyone has experience with this.
thank you
Richard

Like you, what I know about this subject is from what I've read here at TU. I know some of the older lure manufacturers dipped their blanks in what I think was lacquer paint. One of the drawbacks I remember reading about doing it this way was the length of time before the paint fully cured as it went on fairly thick. There are at least a couple folks here at TU still doing it this way, but I can't remember who it was. I'll have a go at the search feature and if I come up with anything relevant I'll post it here.

good luck,

Ben

After my baits are sealed up I'll dip them in laquer paint.....but mine is thinned by about 50% With laquer thinner....I'll dip my baits twice which gives me a white base to start from....You can use laquer,water based or enamel over laquer with no problems...Nathan

I don't know  if I would want to dip using acrylic paints Richard. If you thin them too much they don't cover as well and if you put it on too thick it takes a long time to cure. A thick coat of acrylic heat set runs the risk of skinning. A layer of dry paint over a layer of wet paint. I suppose if you baked them for a bit perhaps it would work. With any extra steps it sure wouldn't save any time. I shoot mine in a vented box inside and don't have any problems. It's way too cold up here to shoot in the garage!