Tom S

Small Mouth Pattern

I have been asked to paint a small mouth pattern for a client on a 15" muskie bait. Not sure why I agreed, as I have never done a smally before (overconfident) but here I am starting from scratch. Does anyone want to share a smally pattern? Looking for the base color using Createx colors. You may save me a lot of mixing and wasted paint. Hopefully I can return the favor someday. Thanks.

Tom

• Like 1

I have been asked to paint a small mouth pattern for a client on a 15" muskie bait. Not sure why I agreed, as I have never done a smally before (overconfident) but here I am starting from scratch. Does anyone want to share a smally pattern? Looking for the base color using Createx colors. You may save me a lot of mixing and wasted paint. Hopefully I can return the favor someday. Thanks.

Tom

I've picked up pictures from the web and still have trouble with the smallie color mixture. If you find out something could you let us know too?

Jerry

This is my first post on this site as I just joined today. But I've been making some top water (similar to a hedon spook) for a lake in northern ontario that is full of huge smallies and a bunch of massive pike. So since I found its hard to find (I was just at the outdoor show here in Toronto) a big small mouth lure i decided I would make my own and paint it myself..I think in painting a small mouth lure you should look at what kinda lake or system hes on. If ya notice smallies have such a range of colour to them...Lakes with lots of rocks and sand...smallies are more gold/green with less markings than a weedy muddy lake where they can get much darker and more spotted...sooo after all that long windedness (sorry) I would ask the guy what/where he fishes mostly and assess what type of system it is then I would go with a colouring that would suitably match.

Hope that helps man.

P.s LOVE This site totally awesome!

I'm for sure not making money on this one. I have 2 hours into this and have not touched the air brush yet. ha. Not about the money , right? Going to start this week. I will try to post a pic (if it looks good) when I'm done and the recipe of color mixes. I think I am going to use a bristled brush to do the bars. Seen that on a taxidermy site and it looked great.

Tom