Tom S

Husky Jerk Deeps

I am a muskie bait maker\ painter and I am getting into painting walleye baits for some friends and may sell some. My question is does E-tex kill the action on these small baits? I have only used epoxy type clears on my bigger baits, but I worry that it will hinder the action on smaller baits. Is thinning a must?

Tom

I feel ANY little thing you do to a bait changes its performance to some extent.  The smaller the bait, the more change you are introducing compared to a large bait when you topcoat it.  That said, lots of repaints are topcoated with epoxy and still work great so all you can really do is try it and see.  I like to use a thin factory-like topcoat on repainted lures - my choice is Dick Nite S81 moisture cured urethane.  One dip is as thin as a factory topcoat and very tough and glossy.  But the stuff is not cheap and is hard to store without "going off".

I don't know how thick you make your Etex on musky lures.  I've seen some beautiful ones with VERY thick topcoats but I don't think that would be appropriate on a small walleye bait for the very reason you're concerned about.  Etex is relatively thin compared to other epoxies so I'd plan on a couple of coats, just enough to obtain a uniform gloss.  Epoxies are only slightly more dense than water so you'd probably be OK.  I wouldn't thin it.  JMHO  

I don't know about killing the action, but I thinned some Gorilla brand crystal clear epoxy today with denatured alcohol. It is a 5 min. epoxy. I know rule of thumb says to use something like Devcon 2ton, which I normally use. I got to say, I really liked the finish I got with the Gorilla. I thinned it quite a bit. It gave me plenty of time to do a 4" pointer. I like that I had time to put it on nice, but it set up not long after. No need to put it on a drying wheel. I think I will start using it, since it's a pain for me to find devcon.

Yes to the 5 minute Devcon. Not sure about the Gorilla brand epoxy, but the 5 minute Devcon is not waterproof. It's water resistant. That is if my memory is working at the moment. So much to remember. So few brain cells left to remember with. :sauced:

Ben

Sounds like it's best to stick with 2ton. Thank you for the pointer. I am planning on ordering some solarez at some point. Sorry to hijack the thread.