cbj11lbs

Ban Of Soft Plastics Link

Guys I want to bump this one back up to the top.  For those of you who've not signed the petition, I would really like to encourage everyone to please do so, even if you don't live in the state of Maine.  All this has to do is begin with one state and then another state will think it's a good idea.  That's the way these things get started.  If there's proven justified evidence of harm being caused to the environment, I will be the first to stand up for what's right.  But this is basically politicians and other folks out to get attention.  This is an important issue that everyone involved with soft plastics from hobbyists to manufacturers should be paying attention to. 

For future reference and tracking, here's the official State of Maine Legislature website with summary of actions pertaining to L.D. 42 / H.P. 37, "An Act To Prohibit the Use of Rubber Lures for Fishing":

http://www.mainelegislature.org/LawMakerWeb/summary.asp?ID=280046354

Here's a link to one testimony that took place on 5 Feb 2013:

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/laws_rules/pdf/LD%20%2042%20Rubber%20Lures.pdf

Here's a link to the discussion of the proposed legislation on Bass Boats Central (BBC):

http://www.bbcboards.net/northern-rally-x/333343-beware-proposed-plastics-ban-maine.html

BBC board member Riley-Maine stated in post #10 dated 21 Feb 2013,

"LD 42, ban on soft platsics, got put to a resolve today. What that means is that they will conduct an internal study over the next year and the committee will draft a new bill to be presented on Jan. 15 of 2014. 2 out of 12 voted ought not to pass. THIS NOT GOOD! There will be more info coming as to what to do from this point, but the vote has happened, and the only thing that can stop the resolve is a veto from the Governor"

There is an article in Bassmaster magazine about the proposed ban. Below is an excerpt from the article by Editor James Hall.

"On Jan. 17, 2013 Rep. Paul Davis introduced legislation (H.P. 37/L.D. 42) that would prohibit the use of all rubber lures for recreational fishing. Yep, you can no longer cast your favorite soft plastic bait on a shaky head, Texas rig or drop shot...if the legislation passes. And so you know, the word "rubber" is undefined. So, you could use a biodegradable bait (such as Gulp) that appears to be rubber and still get ticketed."

If "rubber" is undefined it could also include other baits with "rubber" used in their construction or attached as enhancements. Skirts on spinnerbaits and jigs could also be included in the "rubber" ban. Do we really want to allow this to happen?

Ben

• Like 1

That's 10 people that have confirmed they've signed the petition.  There's a lot more than that active on this forum.  I'd still love the know the basis for this ban.  Does Paul Davis claim it hurts the fish, pollute the water or did he buy some helicopter lures and not catch any fish? 

JSC, I like that "Greeneie" stuff post.