lurebaz

Through Wiring And Weighting Resin Lures

Hi from across the pond, i have just started making a few resin baits but i am struggling to think how i can through wire the lures but also leave enough room to drill for the weighting. I have started with featherlite and i am not convinced screw eyes hold well enough. It seems that most people through wire resin baits and i hope too next time, but it leaves me scratching my head somewhat. The lure in question is 6 inches and a typical glider type shape.

Any help appreciated.

Check in the "Hard Bait How To" section of member submitted tutorials toward the bottom of the "Forums" page. There might be something in there that will help you figure out how to make your mold to include the through wire before pouring the resin. Seems like I remember something about "slip molds".

good luck,

Ben

I have the lip problem on all of my baits. I solve it by cutting a slot in the lip, but if you are molding in your wire harness then this won't work unless you can mold the lip in place, which would not be easy. Also you would have to be supremely confident in your lip location.

I think the solution is to run the harness as high in the bait as possible, this will solve both problems. This will probably make the setting of the harness more fiddly, as it will become top/back heavy and tend to tip up, but not difficult to solve.

Dave

Switch to Alumilite White, using Microballons, and a screw eye will hold without question.  You can also use Alumifoam, the same density as white cedar when formed, that will also hold any screw eye.  I test some and it held 75 pounds.

Dave is correct on his comments as well.  If you have a master you can mold from, you can make your mold using a good RTV, then slip your lip in before you pour your resin.  I do this a lot and I get excellent results.  If you are still proto typing, then as Dave put it, "you would have to be supremely confident in your lip location."