steinruck141

Looking For Help..

Hey guys, I have always wanted to get into making my own soft plastics. I have found alot of the info on here very interesting and it makes me want to do it even more! If anyone could help me out with a somewhat inexpensive way of trying it out to get the hang of it could you let me know? maybe a kit you know of or something? Thanks so much for your time, best of luck on the water in 2013!!

Kevin (NY)

sounds like good advice so far.... dont get into it unless you're ready to get addicted and spend way more than you'd ever thought you would.

figure out what you fish the most, id suggest getting an aluminum mold for it. start small but dont cut corners.

• Like 1

I offer this link for your consideration.  You can make your own molds, copy your favorite soft baits, and them pour them.  This is a great way to start and learn.

http://www.makelure.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Lure%20Kits&Name=Soft%20Bait%20Kit

Edited by Anglinarcher

If anyone could help me out with a somewhat inexpensive way of trying it out to get the hang of it could you let me know? maybe a kit you know of or something?

Kevin (NY)

Take a look at these starter kits as well to help make up your mind on how to get started:

http://www.lurecraft.com/catalog.cfm/kits/worm-making-kit-~-with-dvd:630

http://www.bearsbaits.com/search.asp?keyword=starter+kit&search.x=0&search.y=0&search=GO

http://www.pouryourownworms.com/Soft-Plastic-Worm-Mold-Kits_c64.htm

Welcome aboard and good luck.

Rick

Edited by rixon529

you can beg old spent plastic lures from your fishing buddies and eventually melt them down with a little softener and stabilizer and black pigment(crayon will work).

The softener will help put a little life back in the bait.  The heat stabilizer will help prevent scorching.  The black pigment is only needed if you don't separate the colors...if you just throw a bunch of different colored baits in a cup and nuke it, add black and make some chunks. 

Try to keep the different manufacturers separated as well.  They may use different plastisols, and some don't play well with others.

If you have half the fishing buddies I do, the spent plastics add up quickly.

One big thing is to make sure that the plastics are completely dry before you try this.  Chop them up in little pieces and have at it.

Use open pour molds like an Erie darter or a basic chunk for J-n-P, and learn how to hand pour shallow edges.

You're gonna have over spills, but fish it anyway.  The fish care less than you do.

If you want a two piece mold to start with, get a stick bait from Bear's or Basstackle with a gallon of virgin plastisol.

http://www.bearsbaits.com/1-Gallon-Liquid-Plastics-Calhoun_p_111.html

$40 a gallon is cheap for plastic, and you can pour a butt load of small to medium sized baits with a gallon.

Be sure to add heat stabilizer to the order though...watching the toxic mushroom bloom in your pyrex cup is seriously uncool...and it stinks!!!!!!

If a grub or other thin tailed bait is your favorite, you'll want an injector.  I prefer Basstackle injectors.  It's just my preference.  It's thicker walled and there is a locking pin that keeps the nozzle in place when reaching the final portion of the push.

Both Bear's and Basstackle make super quality molds.

Use the search feature.  there's a truck load of information here on archive, but don't be afraid to ask either.

Fair warning;  I started off with a single mold for plastics.  I now have about 30.  I started off with one jig mold.  I now have 8, and borrow the other 4 I "need".

Safety tip; wear gloves and don't pour while wearing shorts and drinking beer...that really hurts

• Like 2

you can beg old spent plastic lures from your fishing buddies and eventually melt them down with a little softener and stabilizer and black pigment(crayon will work).

The softener will help put a little life back in the bait.  The heat stabilizer will help prevent scorching.  The black pigment is only needed if you don't separate the colors...if you just throw a bunch of different colored baits in a cup and nuke it, add black and make some chunks. 

Try to keep the different manufacturers separated as well.  They may use different plastisols, and some don't play well with others.

If you have half the fishing buddies I do, the spent plastics add up quickly.

One big thing is to make sure that the plastics are completely dry before you try this.  Chop them up in little pieces and have at it.

Use open pour molds like an Erie darter or a basic chunk for J-n-P, and learn how to hand pour shallow edges.

You're gonna have over spills, but fish it anyway.  The fish care less than you do.

If you want a two piece mold to start with, get a stick bait from Bear's or Basstackle with a gallon of virgin plastisol.

http://www.bearsbaits.com/1-Gallon-Liquid-Plastics-Calhoun_p_111.html

$40 a gallon is cheap for plastic, and you can pour a butt load of small to medium sized baits with a gallon.

Be sure to add heat stabilizer to the order though...watching the toxic mushroom bloom in your pyrex cup is seriously uncool...and it stinks!!!!!!

If a grub or other thin tailed bait is your favorite, you'll want an injector.  I prefer Basstackle injectors.  It's just my preference.  It's thicker walled and there is a locking pin that keeps the nozzle in place when reaching the final portion of the push.

Both Bear's and Basstackle make super quality molds.

Use the search feature.  there's a truck load of information here on archive, but don't be afraid to ask either.

Fair warning;  I started off with a single mold for plastics.  I now have about 30.  I started off with one jig mold.  I now have 8, and borrow the other 4 I "need".

Safety tip; wear gloves and don't pour while wearing shorts and drinking beer...that really hurts

And what ever route you take, the best investment you can make is a good respirator. Always wear it, a long sleeve shirt, and gloves. An ounce of prevention is worth a million bucks.

• Like 1