BrownPigs

Long Lasting Molds For Resin Baits

I have used Oomoo and Alumilite but it doesn't seem they last very long before they start breaking. I have some baits with moderate undercuts and chucks of the mold start to break off. What can I do to decrease the number of molds I have to make? Is there a product product that works better? Is it possible to use aluminum mold with resin?

What Alumilite product did you use?  If you have moderate undercuts, make sure you use the HS2.  For severe undercuts, use the HS3.

If you have undercuts, then an aluminum mold will only work if you make it in multiple pieces that can eliminate the undercuts.

Silicone is the longest lasting of the RTV molds available to date.  Using a mold release sure does help over time, but so can rubbing a thin coat of Silicone lubricant to it on occation.

I have not used Oomoo, so I can't respond.

What Alumilite product did you use?  If you have moderate undercuts, make sure you use the HS2.  For severe undercuts, use the HS3.

If you have undercuts, then an aluminum mold will only work if you make it in multiple pieces that can eliminate the undercuts.

Silicone is the longest lasting of the RTV molds available to date.  Using a mold release sure does help over time, but so can rubbing a thin coat of Silicone lubricant to it on occation.

I have not used Oomoo, so I can't respond.

I have used HS1, HS2, and HS3 and the HS3 definitely last the longest but it still ends up breaking over time. It is also so soft. I don't feel like I get as consistent of baits using it because of the resin with microballons expanding.

I've made some silicone molds but never had a problem with them lasting.  I haven't used them for casting resin, though.  Just out of curiosity I did a google search on "Silicone tin cure vs platinum cure" and learned quite a bit.  You might want to try a platinum cure silicone.  Sounds like that type lasts longer, as long as you are careful about what your master and mold box are composed of.  The available products from alumilite look to be kind of thick and you might have problems with bubbles.  Smooth-on has some that mix up thinner.  I would try a small amount before buying a lot of the stuff just to make sure I could work with it and I'd also test a very small batch on any surface I want to make a mold with to test compatibility before trying to make an actual mold.

I have used HS1, HS2, and HS3 and the HS3 definitely last the longest but it still ends up breaking over time. It is also so soft. I don't feel like I get as consistent of baits using it because of the resin with microballons expanding.

Brown, you have me soooo confused.

There is no Alumilite HS1. There is a Quick Set, a HS2, and a HS3. They also have a Platt 55, but that is for those that have the ability to degass it with a vacuum.

Additionally, Alumilite White, Alumilite Regular, Alumilite Clear and Water Clear, and, well, all except for their foams, do NOT expand upon setting. Adding microballons does not cause them to expand either. MIcroballons simply is like adding rocks to cement to make concrete - it changes the mix and the density but it does not shrink or expand upon curing.

On old trick to get a less dense Alumilite resin (White, Regular, etc.,) was to add a drop of water to the resin after it was mixed, quick stir it in, then pour. This did expand, but it was never designed as a recommended technique. The only way your baits would not be consistent due to this expansion is if you had contaminated the products with water.

I am not a pro with this stuff, but I do have a lot of experience with it. Here is what I suggest. Call Mike Faupal at Alumilite and talk to him. He is the owner, a great resource, and he IS A PRO with this stuff. Mike can be reached at 800 447 9344. He has a ton of products and I have only used a few of them. When I have problems, he helps me out over the phone all the time.

Edited by Anglinarcher

I've made some silicone molds but never had a problem with them lasting.  I haven't used them for casting resin, though.  Just out of curiosity I did a google search on "Silicone tin cure vs platinum cure" and learned quite a bit.  You might want to try a platinum cure silicone.  Sounds like that type lasts longer, as long as you are careful about what your master and mold box are composed of.  The available products from alumilite look to be kind of thick and you might have problems with bubbles.  Smooth-on has some that mix up thinner.  I would try a small amount before buying a lot of the stuff just to make sure I could work with it and I'd also test a very small batch on any surface I want to make a mold with to test compatibility before trying to make an actual mold.

The Alumilite Platt 55 does require degassing, and it is a Platinum cure.  It is not really soft enough for major undercuts either, but I hear it will last a long time.

The Quick Set, HS2 and HS3 are tin cure, and are not thick enough to trap bubbles if you pour them correctly.  Alumilite also has some "thinner" mixes as well that are designed to paint on, but I have not tried them.

Again, I do not have experience with "Smooth-on", so I cannot comment on it.  The following is the link to all of the Alumilite products, not just their "fishing lure" stuff.  http://www.alumilite.com/