Mr.Nsmith

"ghost" Crankbait Airbrushed Custom Crankbait

Thank you for the info...the bait is looks awesome....I will have photos of this bait coming soon: it's a ghost sexy shad color on a Norman Deep Little N.... I haven't yet found or searched when/ where to fish the "ghost" appearance baits such as the water quality that will best suite for these types of crankbaits or does it even matter?, which depth level will the bass can see this bait in the best?

I've given up trying to predict which paint schemes will work best in what kind of water.  Bass, bass fishermen, and many bass baits are just too unpredictable.  But the classic theory is that translucent baits work better in clear to lightly stained water because you don't want the bass to have TOO good a look at your bait.  Some go to the extreme of fishing clear plastic baits that are entirely unpainted.

Bass can hear and they can feel pressure waves so they have more senses than just color vision.  You will not run a crankbait near a hungry bass undetected.  Your hope is that it gives off enough correct sensory clues that the bass will evaluate it as food.  Color is just one of several.  As far as depth goes, I think color schemes become less critical as the depth increases and colors begin to get filtered out.  Is there a depth at which color doesn't matter at all?  I don't know.  But 95% of crankbaits are used in water less than 12 ft deep and I'm pretty sure color can still be a factor at that depth.

• Like 4

Over reducing some of Createx's Wicked detail line can yeild some cool ghosting effects as well as using their Auto Air candy pigments.  For depth, I stay away from using black to shade and go with a reduced raw umber or reduced raw umber mixed with the prominent color of the bait.

Over reducing some of Createx's Wicked detail line can yeild some cool ghosting effects as well as using their Auto Air candy pigments.  For depth, I stay away from using black to shade and go with a reduced raw umber or reduced raw umber mixed with the prominent color of the bait.

Actually, transparent black mixed with reducer and sprayed fast and light, looks good on craw shell stencils.

I agree about the Auto Air candy paint, its awesome but doesn't like Etex at all.... loves D2T though :?