MuskyGary

Scatter Shad Lip By Rapala

Check out Tackle Warehouse, they have video on the new scatter shad by rapala. It's a different lip that makes the lure run waqy to the right , then return to center and next run way to the left then return to center. The faster the speed the more it hunts.Wonder how they make the lip, something for us to work at!

Lexan is easy to shape.  Make a convex shape on a piece of wood, and a complementary convex shape on another.  Heat the lexan with a heat gun, and sandwich it between the two pieces of wood.  You don't need to clamp it.  The heated lexan is soft, but cool hard really quickly.

I sanded a curve into a piece of wood, and found a round piece of metal that fit it pretty close.  

I clamp the bill into a pair of vice grips to keep the part that goes into the lure flat.  It works for me.

That scatter lip is intriguing.  It looks like it has a raised bead all the way around the edge.  So it catches the water even more before it spills off one side or the other.

Those folks at Rapala are pretty clever.

Added challenge - how do you cut the lip slot for a curved lip?  I thought about it for awhile and then ordered a few from Tackle Warehouse, for delivery in mid March.  I like Rapalas and sometimes you just gotta go with the flow...

Edited by BobP

Added challenge - how do you cut the lip slot for a curved lip?  I thought about it for awhile and then ordered a few from Tackle Warehouse, for delivery in mid March.  I like Rapalas and sometimes you just gotta go with the flow...

Made some crankbaits equipped with the typical Finnish saddle lips quite a while ago , ...made a narrow and straight sawcut on the blank still in square , 90° offset , off course , , ....and after final body shaping I've widened the cut with small Dremel cylindrical router bits , particulary in depth and on the sides , fitting the lip in bit by bit , .....a finacky and time comsuming job  as these lips are not only cupped , but also curved downward .

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/index.php?/gallery/image/2630-finnish-style-lips/

Cheers , diemai :yay:

Bob,

I just did the same thing.  Rapala makes good lures.

I want to have one in hand when I try to make similar lures.

I think the raised edge may be a big part of making them hunt.

Dieter,

I saw how the Rapala bills are curved where they enter the lure, too.

I am going to make some curved lexan bills, shaped to final size first, and then cut a regular bill slot on the bandsaw that will just accept the curved part that goes into the lure.  I'm hoping, that way, the bill will still be square, and I can fill in the voids with epoxy.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Do the Finnish lipped lures you posted hunt like the Rapalas are supposed to?

Edited by mark poulson

Dieter,

I saw how the Rapala bills are curved where they enter the lure, too.

I am going to make some curved lexan bills, shaped to final size first, and then cut a regular bill slot on the bandsaw that will just accept the curved part that goes into the lure.  I'm hoping, that way, the bill will still be square, and I can fill in the voids with epoxy.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Do the Finnish lipped lures you posted hunt like the Rapalas are supposed to?

No , they don't , ........these lips are traditional in Finland , one can obtain them in component shops over there , I was given a few by a Finnish friend years ago .

http://samfishing.fi/kauppa/index.php?cPath=74_73_190

I believe , that their advantage is to kinda pull the lure on a straight track(tow eye tuning provided) , due to their cupped saddle shape they just "shoulder" into the water better , providing a better guidance in the water.

At least this was my impression with the few lures that I've made with such lips , never had a tough time tuning them , they'd always swim well .

Looking forward to your results , Mark , good luck  , ...always great to learn more .

Cheers , Dieter :yay:

yep like dieter already mention we have been using those curved " saddle lips" for quite a long time here, i believe the first ones were made in the 80ties.  the action that give is deadly especially for zander and lake trout but naturally other species do hit those lures.

btw and easy way to make a saddle lip yourself is to use a bottle neck as jig, heat up the plastic material and press it against the bottles neck and wait until it cools down. most of the lips over here are done from a softer plastic called propionate (im sure many of you know of it) in molds to insure the consistency.

-Mikko

Possibly use a hole saw (like used for doorknob cut-outs) mounted on a drill press.  You'd want some kind of fixture to hold the lure or blank at the right angle. 

Great idea this is , ..thanks for sharing !

@ Solarfall

Also a great idea about that bottleneck .

It's a pity , that this Finnish shop , that I've linked , does not have an Englisch version ,  about two years I've shot them a mail in Englisch and German , whether they'd ship outside of Finland and asking about payment/shipping terms , ...but have not received a reply ! 

It might be my eyes playing tricks on me, but one of the views shown looks like the lip slot is a normal straight cut. As flexible as heated lexan is I would see no need to curve the entire lip. The section that goes into the bait could be held flat and the part protruding from the lure could still be formed into a radius.

Ben

Ben, you may be right.  It's hard to tell how the slot is cut without having one in hand.  One of my kids gave me a gift certificate and I used it to pre-order a few, so I'll see in March.  I don't bend Lexan so I just buy lures that have curved lips.  Shad Raps, DT Thugs, Luhr Jensen Hotlips Express are some of my favorites that I'd just as soon buy as try to recreate for myself. 

I can surely see why your hesitant to try to bend lips. It's not a question of getting one right. Being able to repeat the process multiple times is the fly in the ointment. Especially seeing as how much influence the lip has on the performance of the lure. I've been thinking about how to build a jig to accomplish this, but then I thought why would I want to? I really can't see a need to try building something similar as it's much easier, and probably cheaper in the long run, to just buy a few.

When you get your baits be sure to let me know your thoughts on it.

Ben

It might be my eyes playing tricks on me, but one of the views shown looks like the lip slot is a normal straight cut. As flexible as heated lexan is I would see no need to curve the entire lip. The section that goes into the bait could be held flat and the part protruding from the lure could still be formed into a radius.

Ben

It's pretty easy Ben, heat this stuff and you can do anything with it--

Pete

A few pic' from TU Tutes and other places.

bib 2.JPG

Bent lips.jpg

Former11.jpg

Bent lips.jpg

bib 2.JPG

Former11.jpg

Bent lips.jpg

bib 2.JPG

Former11.jpg

Bent lips.jpg

bib 2.JPG

Former11.jpg

Bent lips.jpg

bib 2.JPG

Former11.jpg

Bent lips.jpg

bib 2.JPG

Former11.jpg

Bent lips.jpg

bib 2.JPG

Former11.jpg

Bent lips.jpg

bib 2.JPG

Former11.jpg

post-15507-0-00686000-1361949617_thumb.jpg

post-15507-0-50175900-1361949627_thumb.jpg

post-15507-0-55097500-1361949675_thumb.jpg

Edited by hazmail
  • Like 1

It's pretty easy Ben, heat this stuff and you can do anything with it--

Pete

A few pic' from bib 2.JPG

attachicon.gifBent lips.jpg

attachicon.gifFormer11.jpg

Hey Pete,

Good to hear from you. And thanks for weighing in on this topic. I know it's something you've been working on for a number of years.

For those who don't know, Pete has a tutorial he posted here at TU on bending lexan. For those who are thinking of trying to build something similar to Rapala's Scatter Shad it would be worth your time to read Pete's tutorial.

Ben

http://samfishing.fi...cPath=74_73_190

If you have Google Chrome toolbar installed on your computer it will translate Finnish to English for you.  I went to the site and experimented with the purchase of some lips and their purchase checkout process.  It looks like they ship world wide, USA is in their drop down menu, so I assume you can buy from them. The translation program also converts to US dollars.  

http://samfishing.fi...cPath=74_73_190

If you have Google Chrome toolbar installed on your computer it will translate Finnish to English for you.  I went to the site and experimented with the purchase of some lips and their purchase checkout process.  It looks like they ship world wide, USA is in their drop down menu, so I assume you can buy from them. The translation program also converts to US dollars.  

Great tip , ........gotta try this out , thanks a lot , ......cheers , diemai :yay:

How do you know the size bait the lips are designed for?

Mark , I've just checked the sizes of the saddle lips available on that Finnish site(Google translator did work out , ....at least to a certain extend :lol: ) , ........these are 16mm to 25mm diameter .

These lips are designed for slender minnow-style lures , ......so I'd say that 2 1/2" to a max. of 6" body length is possible , depending on the lip size one uses , ........provided , that the bait is slender and narrow bodied .

Off course one can make a smaller , say 2 1/2" to 3" fatter bodied lure using the largest 25mm dia lip .

Thank you for the tip about Google translate.

I did run into another problem though.  I went through the whole process of registering to the website and even added some things to my shopping cart.  When I got to the checkout process, it never asked for a credit card number, but gave me the option of paying at the post office when I pick it up?

This really did not make any sense to me, and why it couldn't be delivered to my house, bur rather to the post office for pickup?

If anybody could help me out with this that would be great. 

Mark , I've just checked the sizes of the saddle lips available on that Finnish site(Google translator did work out , ....at least to a certain extend :lol: ) , ........these are 16mm to 25mm diameter .

These lips are designed for slender minnow-style lures , ......so I'd say that 2 1/2" to a max. of 6" body length is possible , depending on the lip size one uses , ........provided , that the bait is slender and narrow bodied .

Off course one can make a smaller , say 2 1/2" to 3" fatter bodied lure using the largest 25mm dia lip .

Thanks Dieter.  That ranges from the size of a dime to the size of a quarter for me.

Edited by mark poulson