bobv

Anyone Tried This?

I tried Minwax Wood Hardener when I used to build with wood.  

I dipped my wood blanks, and held them under for several minutes.  Then I let the blank drip dry over my painting station drying wrack.

It took a long time for all the solvents to come back out, once I'd sealed the wood.  

I had trouble with bubbles from the trapped solvent when I heat set my paint.  I tried heating the sealed blank before I painted it, but I could never get it to stop bubbling.

That was the last wood sealer I tried before I went over the dark side...PVC.  Hahaha

That was five+ years ago.  Maybe this new product is better.

I was thinking the same thing about balsa. Did the cure times seem long?? Im a fan of PVC, and the only wood I use now (balsa) is for topwater.

Minwax Wood hardner is a champ for most woods.

I use the lowest viscousity super glue I can get for balsa. Pricey and super fast.

The J-Town stuff looks like a first class sealer, but cure time seemed very slow.

I only build balsa baits occasionally, but, when I do, I seal the blank with runny super glue.  It makes the bait hard, and is totally waterproof, plus it adds almost no weight to the bait.

For me, there's a fine line between having a penetrating sealer that's bullet proof, and adding so much weight to a balsa bait that I lose what makes balsa unique, which is it's amazing buoyancy.

Since my balsa baits are smaller, I only use the super glue.