CincyFisher

5/64" Teflon Pins For Poison Tail Jig (1/8 Oz)

I have recently purchased the small (1/8, 1/4, 3/8oz) Poison Tail Do-It mold and the 1/8oz cavity calls for a FG-12 brushguard (5/64") instead of the FG-30 (1/8").  I have poured a bunch of the 1/4oz and 3/8oz using the 1/8" teflon pins and they have worked great.  Thanks to everyone on here that has suggested that.  But I have been unable to find the teflon pins in the smaller size.  I have found them only in the larger 1/8" and 5/32" sizes.  I have checked all over the place and cannot find these things.  Does anyone have ideas on where to find 5/64" teflon pins?  Or an alternate approach for pouring the 1/8oz Poison Tail jigs?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Bryan,

I have not seen the 5/64 (.078) pins in teflon, reason being is they are not a std size. However like anything else it can be custom made which would be cost prohibitive. So what I do is this. You can either buy .078 stn stl rod and cut it into 1" pieces, and use that or you can buy severl 5/64 drill bits ( that's what I use), and stick the non flured end into the mold up against the hook. This works for me. There are many other things you can use as well, howeve you want the 5/64 diameter, and I know they make drill bits that size, so it's an easy find.

• Like 1

Jig Man - according to the all-knowing web, 12-gauge wire has a diameter of 0.08081 inches and the 5/64" slot should be right at .078 so I'm surprised duct tape was necessary or even fit.  I may have to put the calipers on some wire...

Cadman - that's a great idea on the drill bits.  May need to run to Harbor Freight for some cheap bits if the wire doesn't work out... 

Thanks!

Bryan,

Just an FYI. If you go the drill bit route, take the mold with you and if you have calipers as well. Reason being, that all Do-It molds are slightly different and those weedguard holes (since the molds are cast) might be slightly bigger or slightly smaller. Now what I would do is get a drill bit (we'll use that as an example) or whatever your going to use, and make sure when you put the drill bit in the mold, that the mold closes snugly over the bit, so that there are no gaps between the mold halves and most importantly, when you turn the mold over with the drill bit in place it doesn't fall out. It gets very annoying when you have an .078 bit and an .080 hole and the rod keeps falling out everytime you turn the mold over to pour. However there is a solution for that if you can't get the perfect fit. You can take a piece of masking take and stick a small piece on the cavity of where the bit will lay. So when you place your bit in there it will tighten it up. If it is still too loose, put a small piece on the other half of the mold. It will work nicely for you. If you need pics let me know and I will post here for you.

Edited by cadman

I pretty much gave upon the smaller fiber weedgaurds and have been putting nylon coated cable weedguards in the 1/8 oz. PT jigheads. When I did have to use the 5/64" fiber weedguards, I have been using the drill bit with a little bit of tape on it to hold it in the mold, same as Ted. 

I also have the Poison Tail Jig Mold, I used a 5/64" Drill Bit and it just works Prefect I love them Small 1/8 oz Poison Tail Jigs, " There going to be prefect fishing around Boat Docks, I also poured some with the OWNER TWIST LOCK HOOKS, They came out prefect GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ON THERE POISON JIGS