biggamefish

Setting Up Carved Master Swimbait In Molding Box

hey guys just wondering how are you guys setting up your master carved bait in the mold box before pouring the silicone mold? are you using anything to place in the bottom of the box and putting your bait on top like a little stand for your bait? or you just set your bait straight on the bottom and glue it down then start pouring the mold?

im also wondering, my bait is going to be a two piece bait, is it better to cut up the master right now and do a 2 part mold or keep the master one piece then cut the resins?

any advice is welcome thanks!

Edited by biggamefish

I have recently been making a swimbait mold, and after several poor attempts the best method I found was setting a segment into some clay, pouring half the mold, removing the clay, and then doing the second half. This method is used a lot in tutorials, and I suppose for a good reason.

For larger, single peice baits, I suspended the bait in a mold box and dont hassel with the clay.

thanks guys, now im wondering whats the best way to cut the joints on a bait thats already been shaped?

I usually cut the joints when its still a block of wood but since this is going to be my master piece swimbait i didnt cut it, is there a way to make a jig to hold the bait securely in place so i can get a good cut on the joints? if so how do i go upon that? thanks

If it is a solid peice, making good square cuts will be difficult. My swimbaits are made from2 peices of wood (left and right side) that are eventually glued together.

One thing I did early in making resin swimbaits is I made a mold of my shaped bait (left and right side) before cutting it into sections. This allowed me to quickly make a resin bait, then try different configurations, like changing the number of segements, and location of joints. I quickly found resin does not behave like wood and not having to carve the entire master over and over again saved a lot of time.

I am still working on getting better molds, but this has been my experience so far.

Cutting it is going to be a pain, so do it before you make your mold, and you only have to do it once.

I would mark angles joints (V shaped) on the master, and play around until I had them symmetrical.

Then I would cut them with dovetail saw, which is a very fine, stiff backed hand saw that cuts a very thin line, and is easier to control than either a band saw or a larger hand saw.

Take you time, fix any mistakes with bondo and sand paper, and seal the cut master before you make your mold, so it doesn't shed wood into the mold.

Edited by mark poulson

Thanks guys, I cut the bait into two parts, it didnt come out perfect but i say about 98% good which is okay for now.

Im thinking about making two little molding box out of lexan, since i have some of those laying around i could just cut with bandsaw and hot glue it together, how should I lay the 2 piece swim bait into the 2 boxes to get a good angle of pouring the resins after I get done with silicone molding? i just wanna make sure i fill the entire mold with resins and dont want it to come out with a missing nose or something lol hahaaa

btw the bait is about 7 1/2 inch long, after cutting, the first half is now 4 1/4" long and second half is 3 1/4" long.

Edited by biggamefish