dog1660

Paint Thinning

I paint with Createx and certain colors have different viscosity.  For instance, opaque white is extremely thick and requires more thinning.  Some of the fluorescent colors are much thinner out of the bottle.  I thin completely by eye and always test spray on a piece of white paper to ensure that I have proper flow and not too much over spray.  I use the createx 4011 flash reducer for all my paint thinning.     

im with aaron. I mix completely by eye and "feel". I do agree it would be easier if you could do it with precise measurements but as he said its pointless to try since the paints all have diffrent viscosities and spray diffrently due to that. Another thing is the diffrence in airbrushes (brand, nozzle size, etc..) as well as air pressure will affect paint flow. Some paints i dont thin and spray fine at a lower pressure where as others require lots of thinning and more air pressure to flow like i want.

Best you could do probably is to make a detailed chart for each color and type paint you use. It would be very time consuming do make but it may save time later. I still prefer to do it by eye and "feel"

I thin exactly like Aaron and Junior.

I try to get whatever I'm thinning to the consistency of milk.  Different paints, like Apple Barrel and Folk Art, always need thinning, and some Createx paints, like opaques and pearls, may need it, too.

I err on the side of a little too thin, rather than having to play around with my air brush while I'm trying to do a paint scheme.  

Using the 4011 reducer lets you make your paints thinner without losing it's film strength, and having it turn back into powder when it dries.

• Like 1

Thank you for your ideas and comments. I am going to spray tonight and I really like the eye dropper idea. I have one with cc measurements, this may be the way to measure and start coming up with a "standard" for paint vs thinner. If some paint colors require more thinning I may be able to label the container with the amount of cc thinner for each one. I am using Folk Art and Apple Barrel paints so far and really like them. Thanks again.

Just be sure to write down your measurements for each different type, and color, of paint. Also what type of thinner you use. I prefer the 4011 thinner for the Createx and Auto Air paints in my painting arsenal. Having never used Apple Barrel or Folk Art paints I can't say how it would work with those.

good luck,

Ben