doublest

Salvaging Cork Handles

I have some older rods that have like new cork pistol grips and the foregrips are as well. I was wondering if there might be a way to remove them from the blank without destroying the cork. I have a heatgun, and wondered if the cork might be too much of an insulator to allow the heat penetrate down to the blank.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

I've heard you could boil the grip to soften the glue....I've never had any luck with it though. The rod bond really adheres to the cork so probably no way to get it off in one piece. The only pistol grips I've seen are top grade cork and run $13.50. I'd pay that before going through the pain of trying to remove one.

I know how you feel having perfectly good grips and seats and not being able to make use of them, believe me, I've been there. I've never tried the heat gun so I'd say give it a try. I'm not sure what it will do to the cork. If you can just get the glue to loosen a bit, it should come off. I would start with the fore grip and then the seat.  Let me know how it works.

The heat gun won't work.  Boiling water should work depending on what they used for the glue.  Rod bond sticks hard to cork but you might be able to loosen it from the blank bu boiling.  Boil it summerged for awhile and then try to pull it off while it is hot. Worth a try. 

Oh and a top grade cork grip is WELL over $13 .......... 1 - 1/2" x 1 1/4" ring used to build a handle will cost $2.00 or more for the top grade cork .......... I would buy a bunch of those handles @ $13 if they were top grade cork.  The older cork was usually a higher grade.  Now top grade cork is hard to get because of development in Portugal and over harvesting. 

Thanks ........ I'll have to buy 1 to see .......... kinda find it hard to believe when their AAAA grade cork ring is $2.50 (http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Cork-Rings) and their standard grade is close to the price of the "super grade"  handles ..........  been buying cork for awhile and some "super" is just standard with a bunch of filling .........