dog1660

Clear Coat Options.

I was in the store yesterday and looked at a small can of Minwax Polyurathane clear gloss. Has anyone used this for a clear coat over water based paints. Just wanted to know if the colors will run together or is it even worth the time ?? I ran out of the DV2 and almost got the poly. What do you think Dev. or poly ??? just wondering.

I used Etex for the first time and Loved it. Did 31 lures at a sitting whereas D2 I could only do two or three. Takes 3 or 4 coats but great to work with. I dip my brush in denatured alcohol as I go to keep the consistency smooth and clean. Of course now I want to try Solarez but all this Etex is going to last me quite a while. That being said, I would highly recommend Etex for ease of use. It goes on thinner than D2 and didn't run at all on my lure turner. Has a beautiful shine and the multiple coats give depth and make my paint jobs really pop. Clean up is a breeze.

It doesn't say what exactly it is in the company literature but one online seller states it is a moisture cured urethane (MCU).  I used a quart of Famowood MCU a few years ago and it worked OK but like any MCU, it is hard to store without beginning to cure.  It will also bubble if allowed to pool anywhere on the lure, so it's best to just hang a lure up after dipping and let it any excess drip off the tail of the bait.  The Famowood I tried was a little thicker than Dick Nite S81 and I did not think it had the clarity of Dick Nite - but it was clearer than most epoxy topcoats.

Not sure what I used years ago is the same exact thing as the Dura-Tuff, but I suspect it is.  JMHO, none of the commercial floor MCU's are quite as good as Dick Nite S81.  But they are considerably cheaper.

Edited by BobP

By the way BobP, ty for taking time to commit on the Famowood. It might be worth trying if a Guy were to use Bloxygen for storage. $20.00 a pint on Amazon, but they are out of stock at this time. According to their web site it works great on Fishing Lures. I really don't have a problem with hanging baits.

Thanks

Captain Ron