Diesel Fitter

Whats Going On? D2T As A Sealer Over Wood.............

How do folks? I am having a problem with airbrushing my new balsawood crankbaits that I have sealed with D2T. I scuffed up the D2T with 600 grit sandpaper to provide "teeth" to my opaque base coat but I am not able to get the desired finish. In fact after base coating the lure still looks transparent. Sure hope I'm not going nuts. Any thoughts, or insights would be welcomed. I should note that I am new to making wooden baits, but I have been finishing, airbrushing, unpainted crankbaits for a couple of years now. I also generally use Createx paints because they are readily available.   dave

If your lure still looks transparent after airbrushing with opaque paint I would think your not getting good coverage with your base coat. Depending on what paint your using for a base coat you may have to put several coats on. I use Createx opaque white for a base coat and usually have to put 3 to 4 thin coats on to get good coverage. Several of the members here at TU use Polytranspar Super Hide White for their base coats. They say it has much more pigment in it than some of the other white paints and covers better with fewer coats.

Ben

• Like 1

Matador, I haven't had any acrylic paint fail to adhere to another after spraying;  Createx, Smith Wildlife, Polytranspar, Auto-Air, etc - I buy colors I like and have never had that problem.  Now, if you're talking color mixing, yes, there can be problems.  If you mix up a bottle using different brands and don't use it immediately, the paints can sometimes separate while stored and one color may precipitate to the bottom of the jar into a hard layer that you can't shake back into solution.  My guess is that different brands use different additives which aren't always compatible but once sprayed and dried, that is not a problem.