Thad

Solarez Haze?

I've been heating the Solarez in the microwave for about 25 seconds , then applying a thin coat. I'll work about 5 lures through this process at a time, so by the time I get the first three in the sun for a 15 second shot of light 8- 10 min. have past I'm sure if not a little longer. I've noticed a few flaws in the short time I've used the product but I've not noticed the haze yet.

Dan

Finally achieved a clarity I think I can live with. I heated the paint with a heat gun and then dipped it. I let it hang for 10 minutes and then checked on it. I could still see the haze but noticed it was starting to sag towards the bottom. I checked it every 5 minutes until it had been hanging for 45 minutes. Each time I could see the haze move further and further to the bottom. I finally stuck it in the nail light and it turned out better. I could still see the haze towards the bottom of my test bait, aka a spoon. I'm thinking on a bait it will be better since this will be the hook hanger. It was still not crystal clear but I do not paint a lot of solid black backed lures. Getting closer.

Finally achieved a clarity I think I can live with. I heated the paint with a heat gun and then dipped it. I let it hang for 10 minutes and then checked on it. I could still see the haze but noticed it was starting to sag towards the bottom. I checked it every 5 minutes until it had been hanging for 45 minutes. Each time I could see the haze move further and further to the bottom. I finally stuck it in the nail light and it turned out better. I could still see the haze towards the bottom of my test bait, aka a spoon. I'm thinking on a bait it will be better since this will be the hook hanger. It was still not crystal clear but I do not paint a lot of solid black backed lures. Getting closer.

Are you using createx?  That is awesome if the paint isn't peeling with Solarez uncured for 45minutes.  

• Like 1

Here is my first attempt with Solarez as a wood sealer. The wood is Red Cedar.

When I applied the Solarez with an acid brush my shop temperature was about 67 degrees, so the rez was rather thick, and I saw a lot of brush marks, so I put it on the drying rack and spun it for about 10 minutes, the brush marks disappeared. I noticed that the slot I cut for the lip didn't have enough coverage of the rez, it was to thick to flow inside, so I microwaved some to thin it, and it went into the slot nicely.  After two more minutes of additonal spinning I decided to cure it by putting it outside, my UV light hasn't come yet. So I left it on the drying rack and put the whole thing outside and let it spin while it cured.  The sky was overcast, temp. 36 degrees, 48 % humidity outside, altitude 7000'.  We have a high amount of UV because of the altitude (lots of sun screen used here).  After 4 minutes outside the surface was totally dry and I have a nice shinny finish, no hazing that I can see. The lure has more glossy look than the picture shows.

I have been using D2T in the past and I'd say this finish is just as good. The odor of the Solarez reminds me of fiberglass resin, only not as strong or offensive.

Next step will be to submerge it overnight to test the sealing quality.

Then onto to a Createx paint job. 

IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

post-26737-0-53735600-1363031100_thumb.jpg

Here is how I am getting a haze free shine. It isn't as glossy as D2T but I really like it and it is a thinner coat:

1) I noticed that the wax (or what I think is wax) seems to rise to the top of the resin as it sits. I now make sure I stir it really well before I dip the baits.

2) once I dip the bait I let it hang for at least 10 minutes and clean up the tail hook hanger

3) I hang the bait over a black light I bought at Walmart and "teepee" two mirrors I bought at the dollar store. This seems to do a great job in getting good UV coverage.

4) I don't do the "on off" I just check back in in five minutes

I am super happy with the results. I think I will try the "on off' method next and compare. 

To each his own.  I've experimented with Solarez a few times now, dipping or brushing, and have tried it both as an undercoat and a topcoat.  I'll continue trying and reading this thread to see others' results but so far, I'm less encouraged than when I started.  First I thought "how neat to find a durable topcoat that you can apply and be ready to fish in 3 minutes".  But I never build and fish a bait the same day so cure time is not important to me.  I'm a journeyman level painter at best but I do like a smooth, clear, glossy topcoat.  So far, Solarez is not providing it.  Moisture cured urethane or epoxy does and I know how to get the finish I want with both, so I'm using Solarez only as a waterproof undercoating until one of you wizards works out the bugs.  Maybe as warm weather comes around, results will improve.  It seems like the guys who really like Solarez are using it in warmer environments than my 50 degree garage.  Here's hoping.

Once you put the lure in the water...you can not tell what it has on it.....I've put lures in a fish tank and i can't tell one clear coat from another. As long as it catches fish....i think that's what we all want..

I think you nailed it.  Of course, if you're selling lures, they have to be perfect right out of the box, but, for those of us who fish with what we build, you're right.