lure_learning

Water Based Paints

I was just curious if water based paints are a viable paint for painting hard baits?

I'm toying with the idea of getting into airbrushing but I'm concerned about the troubles involved with lacquers etc.

I am a stickler for quality so I really don't want to "settle" for water based application if it's considered sub par and easily identifiable vs. other options.

Also, is the clear coat(s) usually applied via dipping or painting?

Thank you for your help!

Most of us on TU use water based paints.

Here's a site with how-to videos.  It's only one of many, so shop around, but the info in their videos is helpful.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/categories.asp?cat=11

After you're comfortable with using air brush paints, check out the gallery here.  There are some really talented people on this site.

Also use the search feature.  Type in what you're looking for, and you'll find a ton of info.  Bring popcorn and a cold beverage.  You'll be reading for a while.

Edited by mark poulson

Like Mark says, most of us avoid spraying lacquers and use water based acrylics.  Lacquers are more water resistant than acrylics but the basic principle is to paint the lure with whatever you like and then clearcoat it with something that's very durable and waterproof.  And several clearcoat options work well.  I'll leave it to you and the SEARCH function to explore the threads and comments on clearcoats, which have been the most discussed topic here on TU.  There are clearcoats that can be dipped, sprayed, or brushed, just depending on the specific product.

Epoxy

Moisture Cured Urethanes, especially Dick Nite S81

UV cured polyester resin, especially Solarez

Two-part auto clearcoats

Sorry for the bump but I didn't want to start yet another thread on Dick Nite....

I have experimented with gold leaf and want to seal it before painting. Can DN S81 be painted over with createx? I tried using the search function but didn't turn up a direct answer to my question...

Edited by bluetickhound

Don't see why not BTH. I'd just make sure that the DN was fully cured and all the solvents had finished off gassing. Which might take a week or two depending on the climate your in. I'm not exactly sure how you'd check to see if the solvents were completely gone though.  And it wouldn't hurt to scuff up the DN with some 400 grit sandpaper before painting so it has a little extra something to bite to.

Ben

The lure has been dipped in the Dn and now I wait.... This lure is being made for a friend who is a Notre Dame (ugh....) fan.... A perfect opportunity to try out the gold leaf! When the DN cures up I'm going over the back with a dark blue to match the gold everywhere else.... I'm kinda thinking this will be a good sunny day shallow runner that should give off a lot of sparkle from the gold... "Fish like a Champion Today" is a little wordy so I think I'll call this one "The Gipper"....