markinorf

Topwater Plug Trailing Fly

I have been trying to make a fly that would follow a topwater plug like a big Zara Spook.

The problems Ive run into is the the way it flies (on the cast) along side the plug and fouling issues.

The only setup that works is a 4/0 EWG Owner screw lock tail hook ( I removed the cork screw) on the plug with a direct tie to a weightless 4/0 "z" worm hook and 4in fluke style soft plastic trailer using (18-24in) 25# mono. I even replace the plugs belly hook with a snagless bullet sinker of the same weight. This restores the balance of the plug.

If you think of this as a popping cork with a Spook; you get the jist of my idea. Its the hand tied flies that are giving me problems.

Is there a fly with the mass/ volume, and negative-netrual bouyancy available to buy, or any suggestions on how to construct such a fly that doesnt drag down the tail, and flys "true" on the cast???

I was using a no1 Octopus hook to make my flies, and had a low success rate for fouling/damping lure action.

The snagless belly weight worked like a champ, so that part of the puzzle is good.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This is for Specks, reds, and bass, using  approx.' 5in plugs, like One Knockers and homemades.

If you look at my gallery pics, you will see the kinda plugs I throw.

The soft plastic version of this rig is solid, but I want to tie/buy my own feathered flies for this.

Sorry if I over stated all this. Just trying to make clear the options Ive tried up to this point.

Mark

Edited by markinorf

We used to throw agitators (heavy casting floats) with small jigs on long leaders (6-7 feet) behind them.  We found the secret was the cast.  We would slowly lift the rod up high and then behind us so the rig was hanging behind us and then make a long arc cast so the whole thing launched in a sweeping motion one item behind the previous.  It still fouled sometimes, but it was worth it.  When it didn't foul and the whites were chasing bait in warm water dischrage areas we would catch them two at a time.  Often we had multiple people reeling in doubles all at the same time. 

Bob is right, it is not the fly, it is the cast.  The method you mention is how I grew up fishing flies as a kid for trout, but behind a clear bubble.  Once when I forgot the bubble at home I "borrowed" my dad's Hula Popper and just tied the leader behind the popper.  It worked great, but like Bob said, the way you cast is far more important then the fly.

Thanx guys.

Im a popping cork fanatic, so I know the casting technique (slow lobbing and feathering the landing) and tackle issues involved. Really appreciate the history and stories!

Im real close to figuring out the balance concerning the flight thru the air with this crazy combo. Im watching it intently, and its "the angle of the dangle" as to why it fouls. Im gonna make some bulkier/heavier flys and keep fooling around with this. "...'gotta keep em seperated'..."

Ive had so many reds and trout try to kill my corks that Im hell-bent on using tradtional walkers to make this work.

I remember a guy using a Dolly fly under a big Spook at a B.A.S.S. tourney waaaay back in the day. Said it fouled like 8 out of 10 casts, but he just killed em when it all went rite. Got doubles on it, too.

Ive got topwater O.C.D.

I'll show my work when I proof it out.

M