Weekend Warrior

Wire Bender For Crankbaits

Is anyone using a wire bender for their crank/jerkbaits? I am working on some cranks with screw eyes and others with one piece wire construction. I've seen videos on making a jig/template with pins and hand bending to get the shape you want, but didn't know if a wire bender would be able to make the bends. the shape would look something like a T with eyelets on all three ends. Trying to streamline the process and make the bends on a consistent basis. Rough photo attached. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

lol.png

first attempt.jpg

lol.png

first attempt.jpg

lol.png

first attempt.jpg

lol.png

first attempt.jpg

lol.png

first attempt.jpg

lol.png

first attempt.jpg

lol.png

first attempt.jpg

lol.png

first attempt.jpg

post-36147-0-64675000-1363024722_thumb.png

post-36147-0-97695900-1363025094_thumb.jpg

I've never used a bender but wouldn't you need a template to get the distances correct anyway?  One thing I recommend is to use soft versus hard temper stainless steel wire.  It's much easier to bend and in a small diameter loops like hook hangers, it's still strong.  It's all I use on bass baits anymore.  I free hand my thru-wire frames and the soft temper wire makes it easy.  If the frame gets out of plane, bending it flat again is a snap.  I get type 304 soft temper stainless from McMaster-Carr.

Bsg, I don't think it's a good wire because you won't be able to tune the crankbait with braided leader wire.  Guys get wire from all over - but instead of burning gas searching for it, I prefer to order from McMaster-Carr:  http://www.mcmaster.com/#metal-wire/=lu29l7

I use the soft temper type 304 wire in .041" diameter for bass baits.

Edited by BobP

Thanks fellas. That's what I found in another TU thread to get. I was just hoping to be able to buy local as I'd like it right now (lol). I already called a local bicycle shop (wire too thick) and the local Gander Mtn which doesn't carry it. Btw, this is just for hard body topwater frogs and mice so the tuning wouldn't come into play I don't think.

Bsg, I don't think it's a good wire because you won't be able to tune the crankbait with braided leader wire.  Guys get wire from all over - but instead of burning gas searching for it, I prefer to order from McMaster-Carr:  http://www.mcmaster.com/#metal-wire/=lu29l7

I use the soft temper type 304 wire in .041" diameter for bass baits.

Bob,

I got my 304 .041 sst wire from McMaster-Carr this week, and tried to "twist one up" today.  What a difference!

It is so much easier to work with than the "soft" tempered .041 wire I had been using.

Thank you very much.