MrSimon

Painted My First Lure And Built A Dryer!

I took the plunge!!!

Bought an Iwata air-brush, a bunch of Createx paints, and a table full of other items.  It was like Christmas morning!

IMG_2570.JPG

I watched some videos, read a bunch on here, and painted up a few lures!

IMG_2622.JPG

I also bought a $30 rotisserie unit from Amazon and made my own dryer.

IMG_2615.JPG

Here is a video of the dryer in action.  I think it works great!

I'm really enjoying this hobby, but I've quickly learned that there are a lot of little details and techniques that will take a lot of practice to master.  I look forward to it!

• Like 1

Very handy. Do you coat them in place or hold on to them in a clamp then clip them in.

I put the lures in a fly tying vise to paint them and to coat them with epoxy.  Once done, I use a small pair of pliers to grab an open hook eye, release the lure from the vise, then carry the lure with the pliers over to the dryer and clip it in.

I painted some lipless rattle baits last night.  I definitely made a few mistakes, but all in all they look fine.

I have 2 ton 30 minute epoxy, but have heard it pulls away from sharp edges.  Will the epoxy be OK for these lures?  If so, is there anything I should do special?

I plan to get some of the Dick Nite dipping juice in a few weeks for some spoons I bought .... should I just wait and dip the rattle baits?

IMG_2625.JPG

Yes, the epoxy will pull away from sharp edges on those rattle baits and wear off quickly.  I'd wait and use Dick Nite on them.  To avoid scratches on the lips, wrap a piece of blue painter's tape over the front of the lips before you clip them on.  It also allows the clip to grip the lure without slipping.