A-Mac

Resin Lures Sweating

Is there any way to save a resin lure that sweats?

I assume that my resin is contaminated, but I have had it about 2 years.  I do use a dry gas blanket, but I have recently started having resins sweat through my base coats.

Has anyone tried drying, or baking the lures to force them to sweat out?  I've got about 30 lures made up that run great, and I would hate to just toss them.

Thanks.

What resin are you using?  Most of the time moisture, water, in resin causes the resin to expand or foam a little.  So, water in resin normally would not sweat out.  If it did, the resin would change dimensions. 

It makes me wonder if the resin is separating because some part of the compound is no longer reacting.  Even this does not make sense to me.  It might be worth a call to the manufacture.

I suspect that sweating a lure with heat would not be a good idea.  You would need to know what temperature your resin is stable to.  For example, the resin I use gets pretty soft at 140 degrees F.  If I heated it, I would need to heat the resin at less then probably 130 degrees F.  Then, once you tried it, did the dimensions of the bait stay the same.

Tough problem, let us know how it works out.

I suspect that it is an oil.  The lures are dry to the touch, and even drilling holes the lures still appear dry.  However, I noticed they were sweating after releasing from the mold for a couple days.  But once again, they seemed dry after.  I even put mine in the dishwasher to try and clean the surface (which worked well in the past).  After this, these lures were probably bare for almost a month before priming. 

My recent batch I dipped in kilz white primer (as suggest by other TU folks).  After a day of hang drying in the garage, I moved them outside into the sun to try and ensure the lures were dry.  Upon doing this, every lure started to blister and sweat causing the primer to become soft and sticky.  It has been 2 weeks since this happened and the primer and lure surface is still wet, so I presume this must be an oil.

If I'm lucky, I'll be acquiring a laboratory oven, with lo-temp controls.  I think you are right anglinarcher, I'm thinking lo-heat (probably about 100-110F) for several hours to see if it pushes the "sweat" material out.  Step one is to remove the bad primer though, which will not be fun.  Then, I'll try painting one again after trying the drying process. 

If it is oil coming out, then why?  My pours have been coming out great, just emitting this oil.  Perhaps moisture contamination must be causing a chemical response.  A call to the manufacturer may be the best way to go for answers.

Thanks.