Weekend Warrior

Figure 8 Links For Jointed Lures....will They Work?

6 posts in this topic

Looking at making some jointed baits and was wondering if anyone knew if figure 8 links would hold up to the abuse. I would be connecting them to pins in each segment of the bait.

I've used them for hook hangers in cranks, but never for hinges in swimbaits.  I'd be worried that they don't penetrate deep enough to take the constant pounding of segment against segment.

I don't know about the links that you are using, but the hinge design is excellent and is how all my future swimbaits will be designed.

Dave

The figure 8 link itself is not inherently strong, it's the body socket & pin that holds it's strength in an assembled crank.

That would be very important in your scenario because in my opinion, the leverage needed to straighten or reverse the bend in a figure 8 link could be possible in a segmented or "hinged" bait.

It would be worth testing because the application would make for an efficient (-ly fabricated) jointed bait.

link sizes & strength to failure rate would depend on your bait material & targeted species.

Sorry for the vague reply but I could'a summed it up quicker with a resounding "maybe" :)

Good luck.

Also consider making your own by taking a round link and twisting it 180 with 2 small mandrels.

that would give you a figure 8 with no open link to fail, so the failure point is transferred to the pins holding them.

1 person likes this