FLIPPY

Laminated Flipping Baits

I have been flipping for years,, and it cracks me up when I hear people say they need a certain color bait or a laminate because it really matters,,,,LOL,,,, I tell people to go out and pick a color from my flipping box,,and I will use it all day,,of coarse all my flipping baits are all muddy in colors, green pumpkin, watermelon and of coarse black,, but what iM SAYING IS THAT THE BAIT IS WHIPPING BY THEM SO FAST,, I DONT THINK THEY CARE,,they get excited whether they are hungry, excited, or being protective,,thats just a theory on flipping,,I make flipping baits for my girlfriend,,and she has some really bold and feminine color flipping baits,, and she catches them,,bright pink,, her favorite,,powder blue,,dark purple with pink pokadots,, We fished a fun tournament last year and she caught all the keepers on a powder blue 702 craw,,all flippin,,5 fish for 19lbs,, in the dead heat of summer,,Do flippers think color really matters??? Jim

I do not know.  If I had the answer wired they would call me Dee instead of Bob.  All I can say is there have been times when a color change seemed to make all the difference in the world.  I can tell you for sure that confidence does make a lot of difference. 

Personally I throw light watermelon seed in clear to lightly stained water and dark watermelon seed in stained to heavy stained most of the time, and black and blue in very stained to muddy. 

I agree to this about 95%, some times a little dash of color on the claws does help a lot. Way back when salt craws first came out , I thought I had to have about every color made just to be safe. One day when I thought carrying all these salt craws was a waist of space in my boat so I did a test . Went and on every second bass I caught I would change color. Didn't seem to matter on those days at all. So went and narrowed it down to just a couple of colors for claen water, stained water and dirty water. I know I catch more fish now because I'm not sitting there looking and trying to decide on what color to use. Have fun on the water.  STEVE

I'm glad I target Smallmouth as our largemouth fishery is marginal, I only use 6-8 colors in my box and their all forgiving, meaning that watermelon a shade off from the last batch is not going to break the bank and if my pumpkinseed has a little more flake then the GY's out there no problem they will still put fish in the boat. Now that would be a different story for Crappie or Walleye as they seem to eat every color you can come up with. My jig heads are a single color usually the predominate color of the plastic trailer or the skirt.

I feel like color doesn't make a big difference for those baits that the fish only has a second to decide if it wants to bite or not like a flipping bait or fast moving bait, but if the fish has a long time to look at it I think sometimes color can play a factor.  But who really knows, there have certainly been those days when me and my partner have been flipping jigs or straight plastic where one color definitely out performs the other.