ravenlures

Optical Comparitor

Well all they are, is a light a lense two mirrows and a screen.  A lense that you can focus a carrage to move a part sideways and up and back. I would like to use one for checking my slot out for bills to see how straight they are. I worked in a inspection department before retireing and they are great. To costly on ebay  and elsewhere. I serched for how to make books but none to be found. 

Wayne

Laser maybe the way to go, eliminating the lens requirement. Don't know how you would do it though.

A fixed laser, lure carriage and a back screen. If the slot is not straight, the thickness of the laser dot will be reduced. It is really all about the carriage, making sure the lures sit in true alignment.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

With a light all you have to do is focus and turn the screen to square up and move up or down or even sideways to measure. The screen has a grid on it to square up with, its just the measuring with the carrage is the problem. Maybe something off a old lathe or some sort of a dial calipers. I will try and set up something with my small lathe/mill and a laser. Can't wait for the snow to go away, thinking too much inside the house.

If I get one lure right they will all be ok, until I go to another size bait, these are Musky baits. Maybe I am just trying to get it perfect when really not needed that close, but the bigger the lure the closer it has to be to square.

Wayne

I belive this would work perfectly for this. It will show how square it is cut into the lure, one reason I am looking into this, you would set up a jig of some sort to do it, I went on ebay and looked up lenses and you just might find one that will be cheap enough to use. Or maybe one at a fleamarket. Come Monday I am going to where I worked and try it on there comparator which is a 15 or 20 grand one. I will let you know of the results. I played with a regular magnifier and it cast a shadow just holding it, not very good but it will work. 

Wayne

Not really sure. The idea is to have a high intensity light, then part, then the lens to maganify it on a mirror which reflects it to another mirror and from that mirror to a screen in front of you. You should maganify it at least ten times. Look up on ebay under optical comparators. I would love to have one but to much money for me. They are simple to make. I did it on my desk, I held the end of a lure up against the desk light then a simple maganifying glass about 8 inches from the lure and made a shadow of the lure on the piece of paper which would be a mirror  to reflect up to another mirror then to the screen. Try it you will get the idea. The main thing is a good lense they sell them on ebay also but the price is to much for me. Maybe someone who knows more about comparators can jump in. They come in all different sizes 8" to 3' screens.

Wayne

I see it all, thanks Wayne--Not sure what your purpose is but I'm thinking maybe an 'overhead projector' may fit my bill, similar in optics but not as precise - theyr'e pretty much obsolete around here, so are very cheap on 'fleaBay'  - 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gilkon-Model-2002-Overhead-Projector-/261190813623?pt=AU_OverheadProjectors&hash=item3cd02f87b7

Pete

Edited by hazmail

Well I went to where I worked and used their comparator and it went well. I will have to dump this project because I would need a large screen, the company has a 14" and that was to small. The lure was magnified 10X, I had the used just the lure head to measure and it was close to my measurements. So I will move on to check out the overhead projector for setting the bill into place, I guess this is overkill.

Thanks for your thoughts

Wayne