mythos

Recommended Split Ring Size

7 posts in this topic

Need a little help here.  I just bought some 1.5 and 2.5 squarebill KO blank lures.  I'm in the process of placing an order for split rings, but don't know the recommended size for each size lure.  I'm on Barlows, and I'm guessing size 4 and 5 would work, but don't want to order the wrong size.  Help?

Also, for oval split rings...what do you guys recommend or use?

Thanks.

The size 2 split rings are the size most medium size factory bass baits come with.  Don't know about oval rings. 

Personally I dont use the oval rings. I prefer the #2 size. For topwaters (especially Spook style TW's) i go a size larger so the hooks hang a bit lower and have more "swing"...

I prefer #2 owners.  For a 2.5 lure, I like #3.  On the line ties for both, I prefer a #2 though. 

I've had bad luck with ovals bending, not from fish but from just putting them on.

I pick the smallest split ring that will go over the hook eye without opening up and being deformed.  That keeps the lure the most buoyant, and the hooks the farthest apart, so I can go up in hook size if I want to.

I like Danielson split rings from Tacklewarehouse:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Swivels_Snaps__Split_Rings/catpage-TTRSSR.html

They are cheap and strong.

I use #2 on the hook hangers.  For the line tie on the 2.5 I use a #3 and on the 1.5 I use a #2.  If you use a #3 for the line tie on the 1.5 it can sometimes bind up and it wears through the clear coat quickly.  You can get your split rings from www.worthco.com