Chip

Where Have I Been Ths Week????

I have been painting and painting and painting!!!!! With a Pro Staff out on tour, samples, orders, and a couple for me..... Its been a day and night thing! And thats a good thing!!!

Here are some for my friend Ron Colby

52704.JPG

http://carolinachip.home.comcast.net/Ron_Web.htm & http://carolinachip.home.comcast.net/pro_staff.htm

Man We are having a good time!

Aw and Guess What Boys!!!!? They are getting covered in envirotex!!!! :lol:

Yall be good!

Chip :)

Nice work Chip, always like the look of a finished lure before the finish coat. Are these wooden baits that you have made or are you finishing manufactured lures. Don't take it as an insult just wondering what type of work you are into as it seems your turning out a lot of baits. I figure I have been busy just finished putting the primer on some baits which will just put my production up to the 50 or so mark.

Hey Richoc:

I am sorry about missing you on the calls this week.... It has been something else! Between painting, we had soccer, baseball and my wife had to have a minor outpatient procedure, etc.... we will touch base soon..... Can you call during the day this weekend or during the day on weekdays?

Looking forward to hearing from you, I enjoyied the speak!

Chip

Brett:

Check out my site.... I make about 20 to 25% wood these days. Much larger profit margin on painted plastics. I typically put out 10 to 60 wood lures a month depending on the customers. I truely love making wood baits but the future is in plastic... LOL :lol:

I bought several injection molds for plastics and have hired a molder to turn them out in 600 piece/ assembled lots per lure type.

ARE YOU REALLY GETTING $100 Canadian (est $70.00 US) for your wood baits? I need some of your customers!!! Heck...I'd work three months and go fishing the next nine if I was selling lures at that price!

Take Care!!!

Chip :)

Damn, them are awesome Chip! Next time I am in MI I will have to stop by and watch you at "work".

I have a problem with my scale effect, maybe you can help out. The netting leaves marks in the base coat and makes the bait look like doo-doo. I presume I am doing something wrong but I don't know what it may be.

Dang, that was quick!!

Using a pearlized paint has been my biggest hassle and I do use a hair dryer between coats. I may be getting that on too thick or should stick to just one coat as a base. When using opaque paints it isn't as bad but still happens. Hair dryer used here also. I even tried scaling over the primer but still got the net marks.

Every once in a while I get it to turn out right!

Chip,

Will call this weekend, weather is supposed to dump here all week end, rain for a holiday weekend go figure.

Can not hold it against you because you have a life.

I to have problems will scale patterns at times.

Mostly when pushed to get it done.

Light coats and good curing of the base coat can not hurt.

I have done them with spary cans and had it work just fine.

And I have had it all pull off with the mesh when using the air brush.

Chromed baits.

Just can not win it every time.

Some times I think it the different batches of the mesh I get.

SpoRoller,

I think your base coat is too soft if your mesh is leaving imprints.

Try use less basecoat or let it cure longer. I think most of us has had this problem. I did when I dipped my basecoat/primer.

Chip has a good tip there, a blow-dryer helps alot when spraying scale patterns.

Chip, good lookin paint, I Like the JLC craw pattern.

take care guys,

I don't know how you put your scale netting on your bait.

But, give this a try. This is not my idea, it belongs to

Charlie Mitchell and someone else gave it to him.

Cut scale material into a small strip, say 2" x 5".

spray material with spray adhesieve such as Duro

all purpose. Spray heavy enough the net is good and

sticky. Stick net onto bait and spray your scales,

don't put paint on to heavy. A light coat when clear

coated looks great. Peel off netting, There will be no

glue residue left on bait. The net can be reused many

times after paint has dried, spray glue will remain tacky.

And this method is a lot faster than clothes pins, spring

clips or what ever you use. The glue on the net will not

allow paint to blow under the netting.

Coley

Thanks guys!

Coley, I will give that a try. I have some spray all-purpose craft adhesive here at the house already. Right now I use binder clips to hold the netting, lots of fun installing with fat fingers. LOL

This site is great for us beginners, tons of lessons learned to help us along!