Guest Gangel

Ebay Buying

I guess it depends on whether you have anything to hide.

I don't sell anything on Ebay, so maybe I am being naive. To me, buying from someone on Ebay feels like a gamble, relying on a total stranger to keep his/her end of the bargain after I have paid. My view would be that showing visibility amongst tackle related forums would allow people to see what kind of person you are and give first time customers more confidence in dealing with you. JMHO :)

Dave

I'm not an Ebay addict but I occasionally buy fishing stuff on the site and have never been ripped.  If you use PayPal and Ebay, you can get your $ back if the seller doesn't follow through on his end, or if the item you buy is not as advertised and you want to return it to seller.  The big sellers on Ebay will do just about anything to keep a sterling reputation going because their sales go to heck if they get many bad feedbacks, which are requested from the buyer after every transaction.

Just sayin..... it's not like CraigsList or something.

Guest Gangel

The original thought for this thread was about seeing people from this forum buying on ebay.  I found it very odd that "big time operators" were buying small lots of common stock from people on ebay.  *shrugs*

I buy on ebay occasionally . Bought a lot of hooks that had tossed in the pile a bag of 5/0 trokar hooks I could see in the pic plainly . All the hooks were out of the original packaging . When i got them all the hooks were name brand . 100 to a pack . If I had bought hooks wholesale I still could not have touched the price . in the end 15 bucks saved me 40 . Got to cut cost anywhere you find it . Then every now and then there are things we'll buy to see if someone is copying a bait . Many reasons for buying small lots .

I buy from Ebay all the time although I've never bought anything fishing related off of the site. As Bob said if you use Paypal when paying on Ebay you can get your money back on items that were misrepresented of defective. And why shouldn't "big time operators" buy from Ebay? A dollar saved is a dollar saved no matter where you by supplies. It's been my experience that most sellers will bend over backward to keep their customers happy so they can maintain a favorable rating as a poor rating can kill their sales.

just my :twocents: ,

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Just a thought.... maybe your ebay shouldn't be the same as your forum names. One can find a lot about suppliers and base prices that wayy!!!!

What doesn't matter either way? If you are willing do share ifo here, then why would you want to hide your feedback and purchases. In most cases, supplies are more expensive on e-bay....sometimes it is necessary to pick up items in smaller quantities there. If I need, let's say 50 #3 split rings, i can purchase from somebody that buys in bulk from Worth Co. and sells smaller packages. This way i don't have to buy 1,000 from Worth. It shows where and when and what you purchase but not why. Myself, I also purchase for friends overseas so they don't have to pay up the rear end for shipping. One never knows why people do the things they do.....most of of the time I don't know why I do the things I do....

What I don't get about some of the US sellers on Ebay is that they won't sell or ship to Canada.

If you are selling an item; money is money no matter where it comes from.

I've had a fair number of shipments to Canada never arrive...  More than to Australia or New Zealand or the UK or pretty much any other first world industrialized nation. 

Also to do it right customs forms are required.  For a $500 dollar item with a decent profit margin its worth it, but for a lower priced item its not worth the extra time even if its 100% profit.  Time is money.  If somebody spends even an extra five (5) minutes on a modest or low priced item they are paying themselves less than minimum wage.  I can slap just about any legal item in a priority mail flat rate box or envelope and have it ready to carry out to the mail drop in less than a minute if I just ship to other US addresses. 

Worst case, there are clearing houses who can facilitate those international shipments from the US for you if your seller doesn't want to have to deal with the extra worry and paperwork. 

I'm not currently selling anything on Ebay, but my Ebay user name is Bob_La_Londe.  If you know me you know I won't cheat you, and if you don't like me you know not to buy from me.  Pretty simple.  So simple its elegant. 

~~~

Oh, wait.  I do have something listed on Ebay, but its priced really high.  Its just there for advertising purposes.  I forgot about that item.  Sorry. 

Edited by Bob La Londe