jcori3

Balsa Bait.

Have a balsa bait that I am restoring. Have the balsa sanded down . What process do I need to do before I paint it? Do I need to seal it before I put a base coat on it? If so what do I need to use to seal it with? Thanks guys.

Propionate is a cellulose product dissolved in acetone to undercoat lures.  No biggie.  You can use superglue or you can brush on a slow cure 30 minute epoxy like Devcon Two Ton.  Lightly sand the undercoating after it cures.  Shoot a white color basecoat, then colors, then topcoat the lure with something.  Devcon 2 Ton works well for both undercoating and topcoating, so it's a "do it all" solution.  You need to rotate the lure for 40-60 minutes after coating it with Devcon to prevent the epoxy from running/sagging.

There aren't many coatings that you can just run down to the store and buy that work well for crankbaits.  Devcon or another 30 minute slow cure epoxy is one.  Otherwise, you'll need to order a coating like Solarez UV cured polyester resin, or Dick Nite S81 moisture cured urethane.  A spray can of spar varnish from your local home center won't last long on a crankbait.

I think devcon would probably do the best job at giving you a smooth surface to paint, but it is heavier.  Multiple coats of devcon can impact action (for better or worse).  Everyone has a method they prefer, so there is not a correct answer.

• Like 1

I like undercoating with epoxy on balsa because it's thick and tough enough not to leak air.  If there's any little fault in the undercoat and you dry your paint with a hair dryer, the heat will expand the air in the bait and bubble your paint..  Epoxy also levels out better over minor surface roughness than just about any other undercoating to form a hard smooth surface for painting.  To me, epoxy undercoating and Dick Nite topcoating are optimum.  You can mix and match undercoats/topcoats as you like but these are the ones I really prefer.

• Like 1

Make sure you store your DN appropriately.  If you are dipping lures, then don't let the excess fall back in.  I always put my DN in salsa jars and keep them turned upside down until I'm ready to use them... as well as use a dry gas blanket.  Good Luck!

When I build balsa lures I use one of the lighter weight balsas. The light weight balsa is much livelier when deflecting off objects, but unfortunately this grade of balsa is also the weakest structurally. To help counteract this weakness I apply a coat of runny super glue which soaks into the wood and stiffens it up dramatically. I then sand the bait smooth and apply a coat of 30 minute epoxy. This might seem like overkill to some, but I like the results and it works for me.

Ben