-fishboy-

Good Clamp-On Vise For Bigger Hooks?

The answer is, "that depends."  If you are looking for a fly tying vise then you need to spend some money. 

I have three bench vises on my work benches and something I do often to hold smaller parts is clamp one handle of a pair of hemostats in a vise.  Then I can clip and unclip the part from the jaws of the hemostats quickly and easily.  I've got small light curved and straight arterial clamps as well as bigger heavier hemostats.  Its not perfect, but it works for me.  I don't make feathered trailers or tie flies so I don't know how well it will work for that, but it might get you started thinking outside the box. 

Often I use my setup for holding small components when I am soldering.  I don't know what they cost today, but clamps like this used to sell at the swap meets for less than $10.  I think I paid as low as $3 or $4 years ago. 

Hi Bob,

I am currently only making bass fishing jigs. I would like to get rid of the 40lb workbench vice that I have and work with something a little more mobile for around the house. All I am doing is hand tying skirts and gluing eyes and weed gaurds.

I am looking and the AA Vise from Bass Pro Shops (anyone have any time with this vise?). I also have the capibility to cnc cut grooves in the vise jaws to allow for hook channels for the bigger hooks.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

Majority of the jigs I build are all bass jigs. I used to have a BPS vice I bought in a kit and wasn't too fond of it as it was a pain to constantly lift the back lever to clamp and release the hook. I don't know if this is the same one you're looking at, but I think you will be unhappy with it. So I bought a Griffin Spyder vice at BPS, that was around $100 and I still use it to this day going on 5 years. It is not the best vice on the market, but a lot better and more versatile then the one I had before.

Greg,

That is exactly the one I bought originally. I found that it didn't hold bigger hooks well. Also the barrel that holds the hook would loosen up in the holder that is clamped to the table and it would turn around. Maybe you will have better luck.

Edited by cadman

The vise you are looking at Fishboy is going to be a disappointment. I have the Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise, it cost $85 dollars which is cheap for a true rotary vise with a lifetime warranty. I understand what you want to do with it as I wire tie bass jigs and also tie hair jigs. The cheap vise will be ok for size #1 up to 2/0 but once you hit 3/0 you need to adjust the jaws and really crank down and what happens is the barrel pin used to hold the clamping handle starts to bend and you find you have to keep adjusting it until the pin breaks or it will no longer hold the hooks without them slipping. I would say if you were tying smaller jigs with hair or silicone and stuck to 2/0 max then it would be ok but not for the bigger stuff, that vise will also cause you frustration as you will have the skirt material where you want it and as soon as you cinch down it will slip and that makes for a less enjoyable hobby. I try to help guys get into this as it is a very rewarding hobby and we all look for ways to save money but certain things are done good or cheap, there is no inbetween and when you start having jigs slip you'll start haing skirt material that gets bucnched in the center or gaps in the thread or uneven wire and it looks bad, it won't mean anything to the fish but i'm sure you would take pride in what you're making and want to show it off to friends. If that is the case then a few extra dollars on a quality piece of equipment will be worth your while plus, the vise has a lifetime warranty, buy it once and done, Cadman has one and so do I and since I got mine I'll never go back to a standard AA vise ever again.

smalljaw and cadman, thanks for the incite on AA. Based on some of the research I was able to do today, it looks like the salt water fly tying vises are the way to go for the bigger hooks. What do you guys know about the Renzetti Saltwater Traveler 2200 Cam Series Vise? http://www.renzetti.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=195 Iunderatand the whole "buy a good tool once concept" so if its worth it ill make the purchase.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,

Greg

Greg,

I can not give you anymore valuable advise as I've only had the two vices that I've mentioned. Smalljaw ties a lot more jigs with hair and all kinds of materials than I do. He will be on here to give you some more good solid advice on vices. Maybe others will chime in as well.

Edited by cadman

smalljaw and cadman, thanks for the incite on AA. Based on some of the research I was able to do today, it looks like the salt water fly tying vises are the way to go for the bigger hooks. What do you guys know about the Renzetti Saltwater Traveler 2200 Cam Series Vise? http://www.renzetti.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=195 Iunderatand the whole "buy a good tool once concept" so if its worth it ill make the purchase.

Thoughts?

Thanks again,

Greg

I was talked into this vise twelve years ago. I have been tying for both salt and fresh. This the best vise to fit your needs. It will handle anything you would want to tie from a #6 hook to a 8/0 salt water hook. Fast and easy to adjust and use. Worth every penny.

Edited by flippinfool

The Renzetti is miles away from cheap and is much better than what I have, that being said my Griffin makes tying a breeze, the Renzetti makes tying even easier, in fact the only vise I'd put above that is the Nor-Vise which isn't good at all for what you want to do. My honest opinion is that if you think one day you may venture into the worl of tying hair jigs, well then the Renzetti is a good investment. If you doubt you will stray from silicone it may be a little overkill but there is no doubt it will do a fantastic job.

Yeah that one I was looking at was around $230. I watched a video of a guy put a 4/0 hook in that vise and he bent a circle in the hook and the portion of the hook that was in the jaws didn't even flinch!

I feel that the extent of my lure making will be all bass jigs and spinner baits (I am currently trying to find a good swim jig mold that has a large eye pocket in it). Of course I say this now. I don't have to worry too much about tying small stuff. I rarely fly fish (usually just for pan fish) and my brother is a fly fishing guide and works at Bass Pro and he's a fly tying nut so I always have flies whenever I need them.

Thanks again,

Greg

Edited by -fishboy-

Getting the job done without breaking the bank is one of the keys to enjoying lure making.

If your brother works for Bass Pro, ask him to get you a Griffin Rotary Vise at with his employee discount.

For the money, it is the best option, and you'll never have to buy another vise, unless you go into commercial fly tying.

The only reason I didn't buy it way back when was money.

Wow, go from $20 to 200 and some lol. Anyway, I have worked on the Renzitti and thought it was a good vise. I have had an Anvil Apex for 5 years now. Many 1000's of hooks later, from #12 to 8/0 saltwater....still working. Those 8/0 hooks are holding a 4oz. jig also. The cam in it seems to be wearing out now. Tried....in vane to get e-mail to them, but it's not working right on the site.   If my cam goes bad on the Anvil and I can't get it fixed, that Renzitti would be my pick.

Wow, go from $20 to 200 and some lol.

I know right... lol. I guess I have been hearing so much negetive things about the cheapies that I decided this might be a tool that I don't want to skimp on as it would save time and frustration later on down the road as I go.