-fishboy-

Looking For A Swim Jig Mold Similar To This

Hey guys,

I have been looking for a swim jig mold that has a large eye pocket similar to the image I attached. I saw the snootie jig and trokar pro swim jig molds but I was hoping for something with a bigger eye. I am looking to target early morning smallies on shallow sand flats. What other molds that you guys know of are out there besides the Do-It molds?

Thanks,

Greg

TWSWIMJIG.jpg

TWSWIMJIG.jpg

TWSWIMJIG.jpg

TWSWIMJIG.jpg

TWSWIMJIG.jpg

TWSWIMJIG.jpg

TWSWIMJIG.jpg

TWSWIMJIG.jpg

post-38375-0-71183200-1364993930_thumb.jpg

Greg, I understand why you want what you want. I've been there, done that, and spent a lot of money to get it. However, you're looking at a simple modification to a snootie head mold. It'll take you less than $40.00 for the mold, and an hour with a drill press to carefully grind out the eyes of a standard mold, and you'll have what you want.

If you have to have the Trokar jig hooks(over priced IMHO), make slow grinds with a Dremel to the hook channels until the the mold closes almost completely, then put your desired hook in the mold, close it(working one cavity at a time) and smack the crap out of it with a hammer over the cavity you're working.

In other words, make it work. Make it happen.

If it were me, I'd buy the Do-It mold, slap a Mustad or VMC hook in it, clean it, paint it, bake it, tie it and fish it.

That swimming jig is a moving bait. The fish gets a brief look at it and instantly decides if it's in the strike zone or isn't.

The bait is moving and the fish often times sticks itself...that's what I love about spinnerbaits and cranks. Same type of thing. It's a reactionary bait.

You only need to be anal about it when another persons money is in your hands for a sale.

Buy that mold and make it yours.

edited to add; your poison tail jig mold makes an excellent swim jig bait...as does your standard round head mold or a football head mold.

Edited by patrick reif

Patrick,

I totally agree with everything you say about making your own modifications to a mold. Heck I have done mods to both of my poison tail and brush jig molds. I guess that's why we pour are own... to be different and have something to call "ours" and be proud of.

The only issue with wanting a larger eye on a jig is that I have to add material to the mold and not take material away. I hate to put every single jig on the drill press with and end mill cutter and cut bigger eyes out that way.

I also agree with you on the Trokar hooks... you would think they were made of gold for that price. I like the heavy wire mustads myself.

Thanks,

Greg

The Trokar molds use various hooks except for the swim jig and the football shakey but I'm wondering if you couldn't use the Mustad 32796 hook in the swim jig mold. Anyway, I use both the Snootie and the Grass jig mold, the grass or casting jig mold is designed for a swim jig and I use it for my finesse swim jigs in the smaller sizes. The Snootie uses a big eye, it is a 1/4" in the 3/8 and 1/2oz cavities and the 5/8oz cavity I can use a 5/16" eye. I like the 3D eyes on spinnerbaits and swim jigs but the size of them isn't as important as just being able to see them, on the grass or casting swim jig I use a 1/8" eye and it is the silver holorgram color that really looks good coming through the water, very natural. You can modify the snootie just a tiny bit before you run out of room so you'd only get another 1/16" in diameter so you have to deide if it is enough or maybe you need to go custom.

I intend to give the fish something different to look at when I would typically pick up a rattle trap or spinner bait. Shad or bait fish would be the representation. Again, just want to have something else in the bag that either hasn't been seen or rarely seen.

Greg

I would think it would be dead easy to modify the mold for a larger eye.  Well as large as will fit on the head anyway.  Drill a small hole in the center of the existing eye.  Flip it over and drill it to just under the size you want then ream to that size.  I have reamed (slow tight with lots of lube) to size with a good quality drill bit, but the average 115 bits for 50-80 bucks from the China store won't do it. 

Then just drive in an aluminum rod the diameter you want and cut it off on the outside of the mold.  In fact I think one forum member's son makes a small side business out of "pinning" swimbait molds to add recessed eyes to molds that didn't come that way. 

Worst thing is your trash the mold.  They are not expensive compare to a custom or semi custom mold. 

A stainless rod might work better even.  It would also allow you to fit by reaming the hole a thou or two smaller than the pin.  Press fit.  Guaranteed to stay in place that way.  (That's what I use for alignment pins on molds.  A stainless pin and a hole a couple thousandths smaller than the pin.)

Edited by Bob La Londe

I intend to give the fish something different to look at when I would typically pick up a rattle trap or spinner bait. Shad or bait fish would be the representation. Again, just want to have something else in the bag that either hasn't been seen or rarely seen.

Greg

There are many realistic swim-bait representations available w/ excellent ,weedless capabilities and varied sink rates.

Smallmouthaholic:

Swim jigs are very...very...popular up here in Minnesota because the look so much like shad and bluegills. They work really well just reeled straight in...or letting them fall between long runs. 

My favorite trailer is the Caney Creek Swim worm...but only long enough to go past the skirt.

Smallmouth love the smaller ones...largemouth and Northern Pike the big ones...and walleyes eat them all.

They are just spinnerbaits....without the spinner!

If your not fishing them for smallmouth you are missing out. Smaller sized...white....super on Mississippi river smallmouth.

Smallmouthaholic:

Swim jigs are very...very...popular up here in Minnesota because the look so much like shad and bluegills. They work really well just reeled straight in...or letting them fall between long runs. 

My favorite trailer is the Caney Creek Swim worm...but only long enough to go past the skirt.

Smallmouth love the smaller ones...largemouth and Northern Pike the big ones...and walleyes eat them all.

They are just spinnerbaits....without the spinner!

If your not fishing them for smallmouth you are missing out. Smaller sized...white....super on Mississippi river smallmouth.

My point exactly.

I would think it would be dead easy to modify the mold for a larger eye.  Well as large as will fit on the head anyway.  Drill a small hole in the center of the existing eye.  Flip it over and drill it to just under the size you want then ream to that size.  I have reamed (slow tight with lots of lube) to size with a good quality drill bit, but the average 115 bits for 50-80 bucks from the China store won't do it. 

Then just drive in an aluminum rod the diameter you want and cut it off on the outside of the mold.  In fact I think one forum member's son makes a small side business out of "pinning" swimbait molds to add recessed eyes to molds that didn't come that way. 

Worst thing is your trash the mold.  They are not expensive compare to a custom or semi custom mold. 

A stainless rod might work better even.  It would also allow you to fit by reaming the hole a thou or two smaller than the pin.  Press fit.  Guaranteed to stay in place that way.  (That's what I use for alignment pins on molds.  A stainless pin and a hole a couple thousandths smaller than the pin.)

Bob this is good stuff here. looks like I'll be trying something along these lines. Great idea bud!

thanks,

Greg