BrownPigs

Getting Paint To Stick To Resin Better

7 posts in this topic

BrownPigs    10

I am looking for any advice/trick to get a better adhesion between my paint and resin. I always wipe my baits down with denatured alcohol before I paint them and they are completely demolded. So I am not having any bubbling problems.

1) is there a certain kind of primer that is far better?

2) Does heating the bait up in the oven right before painting make a big difference?

3) is there some other chemical I should be applying before painting?

4) any other tips is much appreciated

Coley    8

I use Alumilite RC-3 resin for my baits. I prime with Krylon

white primer and paint with lacquer.

Have had no problems of this type.

quickdraw    3

I'm using Alumilite white and my first coats are usually a Createx pearlesence in different colors. This stuff and all of my paints stick much better to the resin that any primed wood I have used.

Anglinarcher    182

Some dip or brush with acetone, but I see no need in my baits.  I often spray my baits with a little clear or white lacquer, or Krylon, or acrylic, or .....

I know some sand the bait with 400 grit sandpaper before they paint.

Normally I touch up my bait with 400 grit sandpaper, then mist with a clear acrylic rattle can, then after about 10 minutes I paint my base coat with white Createx or equivalent.  I get very good results doing this, and as mentioned by quickdraw, I find that I get as good a result as a cleared and sealed wood bait.

I asked about a primer from a Taxidermy company and they just use lacquer for a base coat because they find that the resins are so smooth that even their paints won't stick to them without it.  If there is a better "primer" I have yet to find out about it.

Tater Hog    10

Bulldog adheasive promotor

Super glue works too  if your  in a jam. Thin stuff you get at RC Car hobby stores. its thin as water.. that's the kind I like.  

Then primer.  Nason 2k Etch Primer is what I use.

Good luck