BrownPigs

Getting Paint To Stick To Resin Better

I am looking for any advice/trick to get a better adhesion between my paint and resin. I always wipe my baits down with denatured alcohol before I paint them and they are completely demolded. So I am not having any bubbling problems.

1) is there a certain kind of primer that is far better?

2) Does heating the bait up in the oven right before painting make a big difference?

3) is there some other chemical I should be applying before painting?

4) any other tips is much appreciated

Some dip or brush with acetone, but I see no need in my baits.  I often spray my baits with a little clear or white lacquer, or Krylon, or acrylic, or .....

I know some sand the bait with 400 grit sandpaper before they paint.

Normally I touch up my bait with 400 grit sandpaper, then mist with a clear acrylic rattle can, then after about 10 minutes I paint my base coat with white Createx or equivalent.  I get very good results doing this, and as mentioned by quickdraw, I find that I get as good a result as a cleared and sealed wood bait.

I asked about a primer from a Taxidermy company and they just use lacquer for a base coat because they find that the resins are so smooth that even their paints won't stick to them without it.  If there is a better "primer" I have yet to find out about it.