bobothewizard

Injecting Twice, Once With Each Color.

I purchased an aluminum 2 piece mold for small 1 3/4 inch crappie shads. THis mold came with another piece to inject a laminent color, basically is a smooth piece of aluminum that replaces half the mold.

I am unsure if I am injecting these right but what I do is inject with the laminate piece on, then remove the laminate piece and close the mold and inject again with another color to make a 2 color shads.

Here is the question, is this the correct way to inject these baits? It seems like im wasting a ton of plastic because I do not trim the baits before injecting the next color. Im not sure if I am explaining this correctly but what ends up happening is I have the injection cavity sprue, for lack of a better term, filled with 2 colors and I cannot re-melt those colors? Im not sure if this make sense or not.

Maybe thats just the way it is when you inejct laminates?

When using laminate plates, after injecting the first half, open the mold and cut off the sprue.  I recommend cutting back just slightly from the opening (on the bait side) to give the plastic on the second shot a full port to inject in to.  Be sure after cutting that the bait is sitting firmly in the mold again otherwise the second shot can shoot under it.  You can now remelt that sprue.  Then put on the top cavity, inject with second color.  

Sounds like everything you're doing is correct except for removing the sprue from the first shot.  

Happy laminating!

Kyle