aaron4mvp

Ideas On Mixing Particular Color

I saw a crankbait with a color that I have not been able to figure out how to mix.  It is an extremely dark copper color.  I have provided a link to the particular bait.  The color I am referring to is "green copper shad.  Any help on how to achieve this color is greatly appreciated. 

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Luck-E-Strike_Rick_Clunn_Freak_Crankbait/descpage-LSFREAK.html#multiview

That paint looks pretty basic, 3 colors. Without trying to come up with the color match it looks like they started with a white base coat then mixed down a green shade with something like a transparent base and fogged the upper half with it. Then apply a mesh over the body and spray a copper coat to the upper 40%. Then remove the mesh and shade the top 20% with a transparent black.

You can use Createx Transparent Base to mix down any color to make it lighter and more transparent. Sometimes even a drop or two of water will even make it lighter but you need to be careful when spraying that it doesn't run because it will also be thinner.

It looks like that's really close to the Createx copper pearl I have. Createx and Auto Air are both made by the same company and for some reason the Createx copper pearl is darker than the Auto Air. There are a couple ways you can make colors lighter or darker. If you use a black base coat the color applied on top of it will appear darker and vice versa with a white base coat. You can also mix a small amount of white or black paint to lighten or darken the shade of paint your using. Or like Quickdraw suggested you can use a transparent base to make an opaque paint more transparent and spray them over different colored base coats. There are probably even more ways to achieve this, but these methods are the ones I have experience with.

Ben

It looks like that's really close to the Createx copper pearl I have. Createx and Auto Air are both made by the same company and for some reason the Createx copper pearl is darker than the Auto Air. There are a couple ways you can make colors lighter or darker. If you use a black base coat the color applied on top of it will appear darker and vice versa with a white base coat. You can also mix a small amount of white or black paint to lighten or darken the shade of paint your using. Or like Quickdraw suggested you can use a transparent base to make an opaque paint more transparent and spray them over different colored base coats. There are probably even more ways to achieve this, but these methods are the ones I have experience with.

Ben

Yea I was thinking Createx copper pearl would be similar, but it does appear lighter in color on their website.  I figured it wouldn't be very hard to make it darker, but thought that someone might manufacture a color that is closer.

That paint looks pretty basic, 3 colors. Without trying to come up with the color match it looks like they started with a white base coat then mixed down a green shade with something like a transparent base and fogged the upper half with it. Then apply a mesh over the body and spray a copper coat to the upper 40%. Then remove the mesh and shade the top 20% with a transparent black.

You can use Createx Transparent Base to mix down any color to make it lighter and more transparent. Sometimes even a drop or two of water will even make it lighter but you need to be careful when spraying that it doesn't run because it will also be thinner.

Thanks, that sounds pretty easy.  Thanks for the help.

here is a way i use to find all the colors of a picture, it's not 100% accurate but it will get you in the ball park.

http://letschipit.com/ after i used this on the link you posted, it came up with this

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW2839/

hope it helps

Trying to match a color using a manufacturers pallet never has worked very well for me. I've found it easier to start with colors that are somewhat close and shade from there. Mixing will help to get close but even then shading seems to take care of those mystery colors better.